Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rust protection?

Shpyder
07-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Hey guys.

I recently started working on my '69 Continental. The vinyl top was really bad, and I finally got around to tearing it off. The rust underneath is mostly surface rust, but a small patch has been completely eaten away. I'm going to sand the top down to a dull shine, and metal plate the missing part, before I take it in for a new vinyl top.

My question is, what could I use on the roof that would prevent rust in the future? I'm not looking for a temporary spray-on solution, rather, something that will last a while. And, it doesnt have to look pretty...the vinyl top is going to hide it anyway.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks guys.

Blackcrow64
07-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Rustolium? :dunno:

Shpyder
07-08-2007, 03:52 PM
I've heard good things about that, but do they have anything that is "roll on" or "paint-on" rather than a spray? I have lots of cars parked around me, and I want to avoid spray.

Blackcrow64
07-08-2007, 04:15 PM
What I would do then would be to get a small container and point it in there and just spray until it fills with liquid. Then you can take a brush and dip it in and apply it... It might work. lol

nova1313
07-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Roll on paint guy here :)

They do make rustoleum that you roll on from a can. Get the stops rust brand of it.. It should work great and will weather well. Do 3-4 coats of it thinly. It takes a while to dry between each coat. If you go too thick it won't get hard all that fast.

Shpyder
07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Roll on paint guy here :)

They do make rustoleum that you roll on from a can. Get the stops rust brand of it.. It should work great and will weather well. Do 3-4 coats of it thinly. It takes a while to dry between each coat. If you go too thick it won't get hard all that fast.

I think I'v seen that, but it wasnt listed under their "automotive" section. Shouldn't matter though I suppose. I think it's listed under "furniture and household", or something of the sort, for outdoor metal benches, gates, etc.

Add your comment to this topic!