Starting Problems 2005 325i

wired325i
07-07-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm having starting problems on my 2005 325i with 17000 mi. I hear a long series of clicks then it finally starts. What's the most common reason? Battery or starter? Can I remove the battery w/o messing up the radio or alarm?

Bear
07-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Sounds from here like the starter solenoid is not engaging, do you have a volt meter, if so, set it to 15VDC and hook it to the battery (if in engine compartment), positive and negative terminals (f battery is remote go to the B+ post and a good ground) and with ignition off,take a reading, you should see about 12VDC if the battery is good (just a quick way of checking the battery for its' health) you can do the dame thing with the engine running and you should see about 14VDC (alternator check).

wired325i
07-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Yea, it shows 10.2V I'm thinking it sat in dealer inventory for months b4 I bought it.

Bear
07-07-2007, 12:47 PM
10.2 is not enough voltage to start her especially when the voltage will drop a bit at start. I would first open the vent caps (if they are not sealed) on the battery and make sue that the water level is up to the bottom of the cut out slots in each section (add water, distilled preferred) if necessary and then I would try putting a charger on her and let her sit a few hours. Also, if the alternator is not up to speed the battery will not be charged sufficiently and that will cause the no start issue as well. If the alternator is good and the battery is not holding the charge, I would motor off t Advance or Auto Zone and pick up a new battery. I prefer Advance as Interstate makes their batteries and I put one in my 1988 750il and she cranks like crazy.

wired325i
07-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks! :wink:

Add your comment to this topic!