Page updated on 12-16-2017

Hopefully an esy question

Mbcomp
07-07-2007, 12:40 AM
I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy 4dr 4WD, I have a system with 2 12" subs in the back, I'm also a computer tech So i have tons of equipment i the back, so the rear sags, on the 20th of july i'm taking a trip down to South Carolina and need to tow on of those uhaul trailers my question is after the hitch is installed the rear will sag more, what can i get (shocks? Springs? etc..) to fix this so it does not sag. Thanks in advance.

------
Mike
------

Master.ASE
07-07-2007, 12:47 AM
I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy 4dr 4WD, I have a system with 2 12" subs in the back, I'm also a computer tech So i have tons of equipment i the back, so the rear sags, on the 20th of july i'm taking a trip down to South Carolina and need to tow on of those uhaul trailers my question is after the hitch is installed the rear will sag more, what can i get (shocks? Springs? etc..) to fix this so it does not sag. Thanks in advance.

------
Mike
------
air shocks are a cool tool for hauling and can hold a ton, or add a leaf

Mbcomp
07-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Can you suggest names for the air shocks, if not ill look around, i did not kknow you could add a leaf

duke350
07-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Air shocks are OK, but personally I would never use them. A shock, or shock absorber, is just that, a device to absorb shock, not adjust the height of the vehicle, unless equipped from the factory. The springs set the height, and if they are sagging there are alternatives. The first, of course, new springs. After that you can look into lifted shackles. Simple to install and cheap. Then you have add a leaf kits, etc. The main problem I have with air shocks is if the car didn't come equipped with them from the factory the mounts were not meant to handle that kind of load and you will eventually end up bending or twisting something unless the mounts are re-enforced. Trucks with full frames do not have as much to worry about as uni-body cars, but there is still cause for concern. There are also air bags that go between the axle and frame that work the same as air shocks without the mounting problems. If you choose to replace the springs then they have dual purpose "staged" springs for heavy load with minimal sag or no load and comfort. There are lots of options out there, you just need to find the one that suits you and your purpose.

Add your comment to this topic!