Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

installation

gw84
07-06-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm an ameteur and I got a cd player for my car, but I've never actually installed one by myelf. It looks really easy, but I want to make sure I have it done correctly. First of all, do you have to actually disconnect the neg. battery cable? I've never seen anybody do this when installing a stereo. I bought the install/ mounting kit and the adapter for the wiring that fits my vehicle. Question: After I take the trim off my dash and remove the retaining bolts to get to the stereo is there anything else I need to know? I matched the wires from the rear of the new stereo to the ones on the "adapter" and I am going to put electrical tape over the connections. So, will I next connect the adapter to the car's "harness"?? I know I will also have to connect the antenna. Is there anything else to know when installing a stereo? I just want to make sure there isn't something that could damage my unit, my car, or myself that I might not know. thanks!

Almost forgot... The car has airbags. Is there anything different about this car as opposed to one without bags?

PlayStation3
07-07-2007, 03:15 AM
just besure to hook look on the installation manuel that comes with the HU as to witch wire goes to where and then normal on the harness that i see it tells you right on the wire what it is for because although most of the time the color's do match they don't always. and for the airbags it depends a think where they put the sensor for the airbag and how it is wired.

gw84
07-07-2007, 10:34 AM
are you saying I should make sure that although the wires appear to match, I should look at the diagram in the manual to be certain? As far as the airbag, will removal of the airbag fuse disarm the bags?

dave92cherokee
07-07-2007, 02:10 PM
On some newer vehicles the dealer will tell you that to replace the radio and keep the air bags functional then you need a special harness that keeps the factory radio connected as they claim that the air bags run through the radio. I had a 99 s10 with dual airbags and replaced the factory radio with a alpine unit but at the same time I also removed both airbags and put a grant steering wheel on and removed the passenger bag so I didn't have to worry about the airbags. But for the wiring the harness will have the wires labeled and on most aftermarket h/u's the wiring is labeled on the unit itself so just double check the wires, most manufacturers use a common color coding to make it easier for wiring the radio up to harnesses.

PaulD
07-07-2007, 11:46 PM
I believe it's illegal to remove factory installed safety equipment

PlayStation3
07-08-2007, 12:01 AM
I believe it's illegal to remove factory installed safety equipment

that might explain why i notice that some aftermarket steering wheels say off road use only. and i guess i made my car illegal because when i ran my rca wires i took out my back seat belts since no one sits back there.

PaulD
07-08-2007, 09:10 AM
well, back seat belts may be a grey area if no one is using them

Add your comment to this topic!