Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

OK, who's hiding all the damned 3rd gen sheet metal?

Ragtop_Renegade
07-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I have an '87 sport coupe and need both floor pans from the firewall back to at least the front mounts of the front seats. I have shopped online for hours and hours and hours. Am I doomed to pay over $400 for a pair of full length pans, or is there a secret I don't know?

stieh2000
07-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Can't you just buy a 83-92 parts car?

wrightz28
07-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Paddock was 196 a side, 2 for 360ish, when I was looking? :dunno:

hotrod_chevyz
07-06-2007, 05:03 PM
If its that rusted out your wasting your time. Unless the car has some sentimental value, ditch it. You can buy a whole third gen body for $100-500 in good shape with NO rust.

Ragtop_Renegade
07-07-2007, 06:44 AM
We're talking central Wisconsin here - rust free cars do not exist for $300. Mine is is excellent condition for a $1000 car and only needs front floors and a t-pillar, it would have been better if the t-tops hadn't leaked for the last few years. I do have a parts car, an 85, (included with the 87 for that price) but it's got bad floors too from sitting in a boneyard so long.
I just find it strange there are no 3rd gen sheet metal parts out there - You can get fox body mustang panels and 80's Monte Carlo/Regal/Grand Prix stuff easily and for next to nothing. Why did GM decide to discontinue all this stuff on a 10 year long 2 model platform that sold like crazy? The only parts left are sitting warehoused by gold diggers. Oh, and just an odd note, both Classic Customs and Year One mentioned they would love to start stocking 3rd Gen parts, but GM has yet to authorize anyone to reproduce them!!

philly rs
07-08-2007, 02:08 PM
damn, have u tried looking in other spots that arent all the way up north?? im sure if u were online for hrs u did...oh and the answer to your bumper sticker question is all jap and korean cars are now made in the US and all our cars are out sourced to other countries like the camaro!!

Ragtop_Renegade
07-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I did check the paddock, current price for a full-length is $250. ebay has BIN items @ $190.00 - a little better then the best I've found. Seems nobody does a front only. Maybe if I buy a full length I can sell the back half on ebay :lol:

Getting a full parts car from down south just isn't worth it as I'm not set up to haul anything. My best link to a hauler is my buddy with a '74 Dodge D300 rollback. It's got a 360 with a 4 barrel and, of course, a 4 speed with no sign of overdrive in sight. The thing gets about 6 mi per gallon on a cool spring day , running empty going down hill with the wind in your favor. Put a car on it and you practically need a BP tanker following you. A parts car, even a dirt cheap one, would cost me a fortune in fuel.

I haven't tried calling any of the websites that list parts f-bodies to get a price on a cut-out pan. I'm not sure if they'd do it, or how well of a job would be done, but I guess it's worth a shot.

oh and the answer to your bumper sticker question is all jap and korean cars are now made in the US and all our cars are out sourced to other countries like the camaro!!
Sad, ain't it? I've been shopping for a daily driver and found myself looking at a Saturn Ion. It's assembled in TN and has over 90% American parts, with both engine and trans being 100% domestic. I never thought I'd see the day where I went looking for a real American car and all I found was a Saturn....

wrightz28
07-09-2007, 12:13 PM
You have to replace the full length on each side as the floor support for the seat is molded into them. :2cents:

Ragtop_Renegade
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
oh yea.... well there goes that idea...

Ragtop_Renegade
07-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Looks like I'm gonna have to dish out some dead presidents on this one.

This seems to be attractively priced on steel hoods(Camaro only, but incl. IROC and Z28) rockers, quarters, quater front lowers, luggage compartment pans, and lower doors. Personally I think anything over $125/side for a floor pan is a rip off but I have seen worse...

Jim's Auto Parts (http://www.jimsautoparts.com/camaro_body_parts.htm)

I don't know the reputation of "Jim" but for under $40.00 I may just try out a Driver's side rocker. I could dolly the big ass dent out of mine but if I have to drill out the spots anyway what the hell...

Add your comment to this topic!