Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

300E 4Matic starter

JeffRobinson
07-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Can anyone tell me how to R&R the starter from this animal?It's unbolted but I can't quite firgure out how to remove it.I can barely see the solenoid leads amd can see what the small terminal fastener is.Silly I know but it is pretty blind.:banghead:

JeffRobinson
07-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Thank you for the message/tip.I managed to wrestle this one to conclusion.It just barely comes out(from underneath)if you wiggle it this way and that.Everything is blind at the electricl connections and the access to the bolts is totally stupid.One must remove the air filter assembly in order to do this.I can now understand why a shop charges so much!After all was said(and cursed)and done there was an aftermarket alarm/disable sytem(Phantom)that prevented starting due to the battery disconnect.The it was disassemble the dash,trace wires with Ohm meter,remove alarm system reassemble.Works great now.The 300E is a wonderful car but hugely labor intensive and parts are very expensive.I deal with Lotus cars and they are easy to work on and parts are no more expensive than the 300E.Amazing when you consider that MB made more 300Es in a week than Lotus has ever made of any one model.Thanks again for the reply.

Add your comment to this topic!