I cant remove my key from the ignition!!!

Redhotqtee
07-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and I had a question. My key is stuck in my ignition and Im unable to remove it. I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, LT. I was driving one night, put the car in park and couldnt remove the key. Of course it isnt covered under my warranty and the dealer estimated a cost of about $600 to repair. So, in the meantime, when I park my car, I turn it to "off" and then I have to disconnect the positive side of the battery cable. Talk about annoying!!! The dealer said something about a "sensor" being gone. If anyone has any advice, solutions, similar stories, please advise!!! I will take any advise as this point........Thanks for the help guys..

gmpartsman
07-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Directly underneath the steering wheel, on the right hand side, there is a small plastic plug in the shroud around your steering collumn. If you remove this plug, there is a metal button up inside the housing that, when pushed with a pen or screwdriver, will release your keys.

Redhotqtee
07-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi gmpartsman,

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That worked!!!!!!!!!!!! If I have any other problems, I will be hitting you up!!! :wink:

Thanks again....

gmpartsman
07-11-2007, 01:49 PM
No prob, QT....glad to be of help!

zepcom
08-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and I had a question. My key is stuck in my ignition and Im unable to remove it. I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, LT. I was driving one night, put the car in park and couldnt remove the key. Of course it isnt covered under my warranty and the dealer estimated a cost of about $600 to repair. So, in the meantime, when I park my car, I turn it to "off" and then I have to disconnect the positive side of the battery cable. Talk about annoying!!! The dealer said something about a "sensor" being gone. If anyone has any advice, solutions, similar stories, please advise!!! I will take any advise as this point........Thanks for the help guys..

RedHotQTee,

Have the dealer run a recall check on your VIN. I think that for the 2002 model year there was a recall or a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from GM involving the ignition key system. Sometimes it would not let the key out (your situation) where other times it wouldn't start the engine. I think the sensor chip was involved, but I no longer remember what it entailed, etc.

Couldn't also hurt to try and search online (google) to find more information. If you do find it, and it fits your problem, print it out and bring it with you to the dealership. They can't dispute a recall or TSB very well if you do your homework and hand it over to them after you tell them you want it fixed for free! :grinyes:

Best of luck, and remember, official GM recalls are free for the life of the truck (safety issues) however GM TSB's are considered on a case-by-case basis. TSBs are less than recalls, but they're GM actually admitting there is a problem and in the TSB itself it describes how to fix the problem. GM distributes this to all the dealerships to minimize 'support calls' when technicians are trying to fix cars that have known-defects. Sometimes if you have the right arguement and documentation, you can get it taken care of at less or 0 cost, couldn't hurt to try!! Sometimes the dealer will split the difference, then you just saved $300 ... !!

Hope this helps...

--zepcom

Add your comment to this topic!