Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Map Sensor for 1996 Park Avenue

mikec82
07-06-2007, 07:23 AM
This question comes from a beginner's beginner in cars. I recently tested negative for emissions in Tennessee. AZ tested my Park Avenue and recemmended me purchasing a map sensor, which I did. However, although they showed me a graphic of where the map sensor could be replaced, I don't even know enough about cars to know if I could do this work myself or not. Would someone be able to direct me to where the map sensor is located, and whether or not a layman could handle its replacement?

combackman1
07-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Hello, to get to the map sensor, take the cover off the engine, easy, it snaps off, the MAP should be the plug on the left top of the engine, I recently had fuel pump problems and the dealer determined that it might be the MAP and fuel regulator, they said they got a Map code when I didn't even have a check engine light, then I needed a new fuel pump and sending unit, they made a price adjustment after I asked them to work with me, but they still made money, if you can hear the fuel pump, you should probably get the pump and sending unit replaced, now I have a quiet fuel pump, MAP and Fuel regulator which I think is the plug on the left side of the engine once the cover is off, the MAP just plugs in and you should not have to pay someone to replace it if you know you need the part.....advance auto will check and reset your check engine light and if you have the cover off they may be able to even help you plug and play, other auto stores will check the check engine light but I have been pleased with action auto in my area, I have also heard of people cleaning the MAP sensor lightly with a dry cloth but the dealer said It could not be done, whatever

Add your comment to this topic!