Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Failed, Now What?

EricMX5
07-05-2007, 05:28 PM
My 2001 Isuzu Rodeo with 88,000 miles apparently became oil starved (no low oil indicator light or check engine light). Then a horrendous clanking ensued that sounded like a woodpecker in my engine block. I knew the end was near. I added oil and hoped for the best. No dice. Engine completely failed 25 miles later as I attempted to stay under 2000 RPMs.

Now what? My car is worth maybe $4000 with a decent engine.

Local salvage yards want $2000 to $2700 for used engines. The best having 45,000 miles.

Ebay lists several for $1500 including shipping.

A buddy of mine and I can install it.

What other options are there to consider? The Isuzu engine drank oil. Is there a conversion to a good, comparable engine out there?

If I junk the car, what's a salvage yard going to give me for a decent interior plus everything but the engine?

I don't owe anything on it. I have another car that will suffice.

Thanks for any replies.

Gizmo42
07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
The best bet is to get a rebuilt engine. If you get a used one you could have the same oil burning issues. It has to do with too few and too small of oil drain back holes in the pistons and they can become clogged, also the oil ring isnt as thick as it should be. Keeping the EGR valve and pipe clean, cleaning the PCV valve, using good oil with regular changes, and using seafoam or other engine cleaner before changes will minimize or eliminate the problem. With a used engine you dont know if the holes are already clogged.

A rebuilt engine costs more then a used one but is still cheaper then payments for a new car. If you are doing the install yourself you can just get a short block and swap over your existing heads, accessories, etc. and save some money. Just remember to keep proper maintenance on it if you do replace the engine then should have lots and lots of miles out of it.

Junk yards usually wont give more then $500 for anything if that much.

amigo-2k
07-05-2007, 08:51 PM
yup. ask around and spend 4k to have a used engine put in and then watch the oil. 4k to get 7-10 yrs out of it is pretty cheap.

are you the original owner?

Gizmo42
07-05-2007, 08:55 PM
You might want to talk with THIS GUY (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=13976) on planetisuzoo. He's looking for the same generation rebuilt and said cheapest he found is $2500. And thats for rebuilt, not used.

EricMX5
07-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies and the contacts.

I ended up deciding to buy a remanufactured engine for about $2600. There are a couple sources out there. But the low price guy usually isn't including shipping. Also, one didn't allow transfer of the warranty to the car's next owner. So, be careful and shop around.

I'm planning to work with a mechanic buddy of mind to do the install. Any special tools required? Any tips? I'm told it's a 20 hour job.

What's a car worth with a remanufactured engine? More than one with the original high miles engine, I'd think. If the car was worth $6000 before the engine blew, and I paid a place $3900 for a reman engine and install, what portion of that should I ascribe to the value of my car? Half? That's what I'm thinking.

Again, thanks for the replies!

Add your comment to this topic!