Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Reliable Car

rockfan0005
07-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok guys, so here's the deal with me.
I own a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE V6
Here's my cardomain:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2273556
So basically the car has around 105k miles on it and I'm about to go away for college. Now I was just thinking and I really don't think this car will last me too much longer through college. (On average Grand Am the transmission craps out at around 130k-140 miles. A repair I won't be able to afford. I just dropped a new engine in it 4k miles ago).

So I would like to sell my car: I'm guessing I'll get around 3500-4000.

With that I will buy a new car. What I'll be using it for will be 3-4 hour roadtrips every few weekends. (to college and back home). I'd like something that will basicallly last the longest with the fewest repairs.

Right now I was considering something like a 1993-1997 Toyota Corolla, Camry, Sentra; or a Honda Civic; with something around 100-115k miles on them. If you guys have any tips and or suggestions about what I can do or what car I should get I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks

RightWingZionist
07-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Accord 4 banger manual.

How much do you want to spend?

Buicks with the 3800 series 3.8L V6 are also very reliable in that year range.

rockfan0005
07-09-2007, 09:31 AM
As far as how much money I'm willing to spend...it'll be as much as my car sells for so between 3500ish-4500ish.

Thanks for the suggestion; keep them coming.

RightWingZionist
07-09-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=224394168&dealer_id=60396881&car_year=1993&num_records=100&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=14&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=3000&body_style=COUPE&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=make_modelASC&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=2&sort_type=make_modelASC&address=63088&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=4000&cardist=11

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=224764570&dealer_id=60444795&car_year=1996&num_records=100&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=14&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=3000&body_style=COUPE&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=make_modelASC&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=2&sort_type=make_modelASC&address=63088&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=4000&cardist=6

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=224462358&dealer_id=60404531&car_year=1995&num_records=100&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=14&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=3000&body_style=COUPE&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=make_modelASC&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=2&sort_type=make_modelASC&address=63088&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=4000&cardist=11

Go to auto.msn.com they have a list of common reported problems by mechanics, then go to carsurvey.org and look up your car, mase sure the year, model, and country (N. America) line up the same before you read what people say..also don't read what stupid people say or people who only drove the car less than 10K miles and tell you how awsome and reliable the car is.

Use your judgement and go do your own damn research.

sickcallawayc12
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm gonna say Honda. Japanese is the best way to go on great reliability with few repairs IMO. Toyotas tend to be overpriced because of that great reliability, Honda to a lesser extent. Nissan's are generally pretty good. Are you gonna do your own repairs?

rockfan0005
07-10-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm gonna say Honda. Japanese is the best way to go on great reliability with few repairs IMO. Toyotas tend to be overpriced because of that great reliability, Honda to a lesser extent. Nissan's are generally pretty good. Are you gonna do your own repairs?
Yes, I am planning on doing the majority of my repairs (nothing too intricate though...I don't touch the inside of an engine).

RightWingZionist-I was quite intrigued at your first link of the BMW as they are some of my favorite cars. I researched the cars quite a bit and found that they are not quite up to par with the Japanese cars, however they don't seem far behind whatsoever. I called the owner of the BMW to find it was already sold. I then researched and found a 1994 BMW 318i with 102k miles on it for $3400.

If anyone has anything to say about how long they last on a general basis that would be great. But everything I read seems to say that the BMW's main probably with this generation is the plastic pieces...not exactly the most important thing in the world. However, some sources on the internet said that the repairs were quite expensive, however many sources claimed that the expense was mere rumor.

sickcallawayc12
07-10-2007, 08:59 PM
European parts are generally more expensive. It probably won't be that bad for you since you're doing your own repairs cuz labor is what's really expensive on vehicles like these. As for reliablility, nothing is really on par with the reliable Japanese makes, but BMW is a good reliable european make.

vito mistretta
07-16-2007, 09:06 PM
check out [URL=link removed by moderator - unauthorized advertising[/URL]. they sell used cars at a real good price. Even sell cars that u can fix up urself for real cheap! Check it out...best of luck

SweetSalesWoman
07-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Here is my advice. If you walk into any car dealership or to a private buyer with 3500-4000, they will sell you a vehicle worth a couple hundred dollars. Most dealerships have to make $6000+ on a vehicle to cover operating costs, commissions, advertising, etc and with a private seller you never have any idea of what maintenance or lack thereof has been done. If you are buying a vehicle that is that inexpensive, you will be getting an aged vehicle (5-10 years) with a lot of miles (100,000+) and little to absolutely no warranty or guarantee. At dealerships, these vehicles are usually trade-ins that have problems that they quick fix them to sell you the car. Once you drive off the lot or out of the driveway and the transmission falls out, you are stuck at square one having paid taxes, purchased a license plate, and now you are without a car unless you want to pay another few thousand for repairs.

I have a lot of customers that come to me with this issue. A smarter idea is to take the 2000 to 4000 and put that money down on a vehicle that you know is going to be reliable and get you through college. If you already know that you have a tight budget, the last thing you want to do is get yourself into a situation where a VERY expensive repair would leave you walking. Rather than getting yourself into a stressful situation, take the opportunity to research vehicle pricing and you will find you can get a used 2007 vehicle with about 12,000 - 14,000 miles with factory warranty for $12,299. I work for the car sales department for <name removed by moderator-unauthorized advertising> and we actually have the 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser on national promotion right now. We have plenty of vehicles that are in that price range and every one of them comes with at least a year warranty for FREE! Every vehicle is 100% guaranteed to be BELOW Kelly Blue Book price too. That would keep your payments very reasonable and Enterprise works to get you the lowest possible interest rate (rather than a normal dealership that tries to make the most money on financing by raising the interest rate). It would be a lot easier to budget $200-250 a month and know you have a new vehicle, that is reliable, under warranty, is certified, and has a seven day buyback guarantee (no questions asked you get your money back) if you decide that vehicle isn't right for you.
- Molly (Ft Myers, FL)

'97ventureowner
07-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Here is my advice. If you walk into any car dealership or to a private buyer with 3500-4000, they will sell you a vehicle worth a couple hundred dollars. Most dealerships have to make $6000+ on a vehicle to cover operating costs, commissions, advertising, etc and with a private seller you never have any idea of what maintenance or lack thereof has been done. If you are buying a vehicle that is that inexpensive, you will be getting an aged vehicle (5-10 years) with a lot of miles (100,000+) and little to absolutely no warranty or guarantee. At dealerships, these vehicles are usually trade-ins that have problems that they quick fix them to sell you the car. Once you drive off the lot or out of the driveway and the transmission falls out, you are stuck at square one having paid taxes, purchased a license plate, and now you are without a car unless you want to pay another few thousand for repairs.

I have a lot of customers that come to me with this issue. A smarter idea is to take the 2000 to 4000 and put that money down on a vehicle that you know is going to be reliable and get you through college. If you already know that you have a tight budget, the last thing you want to do is get yourself into a situation where a VERY expensive repair would leave you walking. Rather than getting yourself into a stressful situation, take the opportunity to research vehicle pricing and you will find you can get a used 2007 vehicle with about 12,000 - 14,000 miles with factory warranty for $12,299. I work for the car sales department for <name removed by moderator-unauthorized advertising> and we actually have the 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser on national promotion right now. We have plenty of vehicles that are in that price range and every one of them comes with at least a year warranty for FREE! Every vehicle is 100% guaranteed to be BELOW Kelly Blue Book price too. That would keep your payments very reasonable and Enterprise works to get you the lowest possible interest rate (rather than a normal dealership that tries to make the most money on financing by raising the interest rate). It would be a lot easier to budget $200-250 a month and know you have a new vehicle, that is reliable, under warranty, is certified, and has a seven day buyback guarantee (no questions asked you get your money back) if you decide that vehicle isn't right for you.
- Molly (Ft Myers, FL)

PLEASE do not keep posting this for other posts in this forum. Repeated postings of the same message constitutes SPAM and is a bannable offense.

Add your comment to this topic!