Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Talon ecu trouble

sabrewlv288
07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I have 1995 eagle talon awd with a 6 bolt engine swap. I have a problem when I'm cruising mostly in 5th gear. The whole car will shake when I press the gas and act like its bogging down. it still goes when I hit the gas but everything shakes bad and my air fuel ratio guage gives me readings all over the place. It goes away when i turn the car off then turn it back on. It happens randomly but not as much if I get putting it in boost. I just bought the car and he told me it was the wrong ecu i think. What ecu should i use for the 6 bolt swap? is it possible he used the 1995 ecu? would any ecu out of a 1g awd turbo eclipse/talon work? I believe the ecu is the problem because it doesn't run like it should.

MazdaX
07-05-2007, 03:51 PM
It's not always the ECU , and if he had money for the swap why would he put in the wrong ECU ? I would lean a little more torwards an inexperienced swapper and be looking for mechanical issues.

eclipse98gst
07-13-2007, 11:13 AM
I have 1995 eagle talon awd with a 6 bolt engine swap. I have a problem when I'm cruising mostly in 5th gear. The whole car will shake when I press the gas and act like its bogging down. it still goes when I hit the gas but everything shakes bad and my air fuel ratio guage gives me readings all over the place. It goes away when i turn the car off then turn it back on. It happens randomly but not as much if I get putting it in boost. I just bought the car and he told me it was the wrong ecu i think. What ecu should i use for the 6 bolt swap? is it possible he used the 1995 ecu? would any ecu out of a 1g awd turbo eclipse/talon work? I believe the ecu is the problem because it doesn't run like it should.

Your problem is being caused by a cylinder missfire. This happens becuase the 6 bolt motor that is in your car operates on a Cam Angle Sensor where as the old 7bolt motor used a Crank Angle Sensor. So when your ecu reads the signal from the Cam Angle Sensor it is different from what it was programed to read(the Crank Angle Sensor) thus causing your motor to cylinder missfire (the shaking you feel). You have 2 options to fix this, either purchase a 95 EPROM ECU and have DSMLINK installed on it, which will fix your problem as well as many other problems caused by the 6bolt swap (this would be the IDEAL choice for anyone with a 6bolt swap) OR there is a resistor mod that you can do to the Cam Angle Sensor which will allow it to properly work with the NON-DSMLINK ECUs (I dont know much about this mod, so youll have to search for it).

clhuff
07-14-2007, 01:37 PM
shit looks like im goin to proably have the same problem when i get my car on the road

Add your comment to this topic!