Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Riviera trac control/abs system

sirplod
07-04-2007, 02:28 PM
I am considering buying a 96 Riviera, however the traction control and ABS don't work. The owner told me that they both went out at about the same time. She was going to get it fixed but was told that it was going to cost $2500!!! Can that be right or is the problem likely to be a whole lot cheaper??? And is this a common fault with these Rivieras??

96riviera18
07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
it is fairly common on riv's. 2500 is about right considering the parts and labor involed at the dealership. both ABS and Trac will go at the same time b/c they are both controled by the same sensors and motor.
most of the time all you need is a new hub with speed sensor in one of the front wheels. a shop with the proper diagnostic tools can tell you exactly which wheel speed sensor is faulty. however on some rare occasions the actual trac/abs motor burns out and those can be pricy to replace. it is called a EBTCM (electron brake traction control motor) and can be 500 for the motor alone.
good luck! hope you have the chance to own a riv soon!
Matt
(oh and once you get your riviera, please join rivperformance.com )

sirplod
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
it is fairly common on riv's. 2500 is about right considering the parts and labor involed at the dealership. both ABS and Trac will go at the same time b/c they are both controled by the same sensors and motor.
most of the time all you need is a new hub with speed sensor in one of the front wheels. a shop with the proper diagnostic tools can tell you exactly which wheel speed sensor is faulty. however on some rare occasions the actual trac/abs motor burns out and those can be pricy to replace. it is called a EBTCM (electron brake traction control motor) and can be 500 for the motor alone.
good luck! hope you have the chance to own a riv soon!
Matt
(oh and once you get your riviera, please join rivperformance.com )

OK...Thanks for that. I got the car so now I'll take it in and have it looked at.. :)

Add your comment to this topic!