Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help w/rear main leak in a 75 454?

69jaboc
07-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I have a 69 Camaro with a 1975 454 2 bolt main. Its a pretty good leak. The entire tranny is wet as well as a good portion of the floor. I have a couple of questions.

Does the motor have to come out?

I also read another Thread about a 406 w a rear main leak and there were a couple of replies explaining to add a PCV to to reduce crank pressure. Does this apply to my motor as well?

Bad81bu
07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Im the guy with the leaky 406, i installed a pvc and it seemed to slow the leak but im thinking the motor is going to have to come all the way out to replace it, not what ya wanna hear im sure but its the only way to stop it. I can deal with a little leak so im gonna leave it for the summer and take it apart this winter.

Good luck.

Oh to answer your ? yes it applies to your motor as well, all engines build pressure in them.

Hope all is well
Brett B

69jaboc
07-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks Brett,

Since my post I noticed that I do have a PCV already. But I'm not sure if it is working right so I will probably change it to be sure. It sounds like my motor has to come out as well. So I'll probably leave my leak until winter too.

Tom,

Bad81bu
07-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Good idea Tom, its just irritating parkin with all your buddies and they look under ur car and ask whats leaking hahaha kind of embarrassing but oh well, i like to leave my mark wherever i go hahaha. and if i can still whip my buddies in a race i really dont care if it leaks hahaha.

Have a good one!
Brett

Add your comment to this topic!