2000 Altima Valve Cover Gasket

methodmix
07-03-2007, 03:48 PM
At around 80k miles, I've begun to notice a uniform oil residue buildup that sits around my valve cover gasket. Is this normal? Are there any specific signs to look for when it comes to replacement? I notice there is no steady "drip" leak to worry about at this point, but I am concerned. The car now has 96k miles. How easy would it be to replace on my own?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide! :sunglasse

InnerDragon103
07-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Not difficult at all to do, if i remember correctly there are approximately 10-12 screws to remove.

Gasket for the valve cover is cheap as hell anyway so if you're noticing a slight buildup go ahead and replace it. A few things to make sure you do/don't do while doing this:

CAREFULLY TAKE THE VALVE COVER OFF, A.K.A. DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVEER TO SEPARATE THE COVER FROM THE ENGINE BLOCK. Because if you damage the aluminum, you will get an unrepairable oil leak even after you put the new gasket in. Ok so once you take all the nuts off and gently take the washers off, pry the valve cover off by either tappin it with a RUBBER malet or some other way... (As far as i remember it was not difficult to do). GENTLY clean off the sealant after removing the black gasket, with a putty knife or something. Then apply some RTV gasket sealant around the semi circles of the gasket, let it set for the specified time, put the new gasket on, and then put another bead of sealant on teh gasket, let it set for the specified time on the tube then put your cover on. Oh yea, there's another set of gaskets for your spark plug holes that you will see if you flip your cover upside down, you can replace those too, but do NOT use sealant, just put the gasket on with a LITTLE bit of motor oil before puttin it on. Don't overtighten the nuts when putting the cover back on, i believe the torque wrench rating is about 69 to 95 in-lbs. And there you go, gasket replaced. Um don't run the car until the sealant has cured (check the tube for how long).

methodmix
07-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Not difficult at all to do, if i remember correctly there are approximately 10-12 screws to remove.

Gasket for the valve cover is cheap as hell anyway so if you're noticing a slight buildup go ahead and replace it. A few things to make sure you do/don't do while doing this:

CAREFULLY TAKE THE VALVE COVER OFF, A.K.A. DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVEER TO SEPARATE THE COVER FROM THE ENGINE BLOCK. Because if you damage the aluminum, you will get an unrepairable oil leak even after you put the new gasket in. Ok so once you take all the nuts off and gently take the washers off, pry the valve cover off by either tappin it with a RUBBER malet or some other way... (As far as i remember it was not difficult to do). GENTLY clean off the sealant after removing the black gasket, with a putty knife or something. Then apply some RTV gasket sealant around the semi circles of the gasket, let it set for the specified time, put the new gasket on, and then put another bead of sealant on teh gasket, let it set for the specified time on the tube then put your cover on. Oh yea, there's another set of gaskets for your spark plug holes that you will see if you flip your cover upside down, you can replace those too, but do NOT use sealant, just put the gasket on with a LITTLE bit of motor oil before puttin it on. Don't overtighten the nuts when putting the cover back on, i believe the torque wrench rating is about 69 to 95 in-lbs. And there you go, gasket replaced. Um don't run the car until the sealant has cured (check the tube for how long).

Hey thanks a lot, I really appreciate the info!

Do you have any idea how long this will all take (not including letting the RTV sealant cure)?

I'll probably work on that this weekend.

InnerDragon103
07-05-2007, 11:28 PM
very easy to do took me about 45 min.

Add your comment to this topic!