Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Who has "battle scars" from this dangerous passtime?

Pages : [1] 2

Jay!
09-15-2001, 02:58 PM
I've already mentioned that I have a scar on my left index finger from a fresh X-acto knife, and I noticed Dillweed has a similar story, so let's open it up... What wounds have you suffered for your art? ;)

Guiddy
09-15-2001, 03:00 PM
I have sore skin on my hands due to all the chemicals I have been using, but fortunately I am old enough to not keep stabbing myself like you lot seem to, so no long term scars!!!

S Brake
09-15-2001, 03:14 PM
My fingers get raw from all the little details, so now they are all rough and they feel wierd...:rolleyes:

Guiddy
09-15-2001, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by snowboarder927
My fingers get raw from all the little details, so now they are all rough and they feel wierd...:rolleyes:

Get some tweezers!:rolleyes:

S Brake
09-15-2001, 03:30 PM
I have some but sometimes i want to feel like I am doing the kit, i want to be one with the automotive greatness...maybe i should get more tweezers.

Guiddy
09-15-2001, 04:36 PM
I have some but sometimes i want to feel like I am doing the kit, i want to be one with the automotive greatness...maybe i should get more tweezers.

Keep taking the pills I think!:confused:

Jay!
09-15-2001, 04:40 PM
I have some but sometimes i want to feel like I am doing the kit, i want to be one with the automotive greatness...maybe i should get more tweezers. Originally posted by Guiddy
Keep taking the pills I think!:confused: I was really thinking more of physical ailments, not psychological... :rolleyes:

S Brake
09-15-2001, 05:05 PM
i thought my fingers hurting was physical but i guess not:(

Jay!
09-15-2001, 05:07 PM
...i want to be one with the automotive greatness......:hehehe: j/k

S Brake
09-15-2001, 07:40 PM
[note to self] Kick Jay in the junk[/note to self]
:alien:

Porsche
09-15-2001, 11:37 PM
When I was modeling my PLanes (At Age 8 or So) I grabbed an Exacto Knife by the blade, Funny how it didn't hurt for the amount of blood that came out.

Jay!
09-16-2001, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Porsche
When I was modeling my PLanes (At Age 8 or So) I grabbed an Exacto Knife by the blade, Funny how it didn't hurt for the amount of blood that came out. Yeah, when I cut myself I went into shock pretty quick. The first idea that came to mind was to put the wound under hot water. This was the wrong answer, as I bled a lot more for it. :eek: Cold water works much better. My girlfriend was on her way over anyway, and she got to the door right after it happened, so she took me down to the doctor's office. By the time we got there I had a wad of toilet paper the size of my fist soaked clear through with blood. :eek: :eek: :eek: They cleaned it up, and I didn't get stitches, just those butterfly strips. Still got a decent scar though! :D

Posted by snowboarder927
[note to self] Kick Jay in the junk[/note to self]
http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/dvv/esmil.gif

primera man
09-16-2001, 03:27 AM
I have to say i have been very luckly and have not done anything like you guys yet.....TAKE CARE OUT THERE !!!!

:bloated: :bloated:

Porsche
09-16-2001, 02:58 PM
My incident was more of a "I wonder how sharp the blade actually is?" type thing, mine wasn't too bad, tere must be some big arteries or dsomething in the hands cause I always bleed alot if it's on my finger. I didn't go into shock though, I was just like "Well this was surprising"

Honoturtle
08-04-2002, 11:21 PM
Why does most ppl here cut their index finger? I also cut my index finger while trying to chop the door off an old school chevy. No stitches though.

TheSyndicate
08-04-2002, 11:51 PM
Sliced off a 1/4" thick chunk of skin ON MY KNUCKLE while trying to cut a radiator. Had to keep the whole finger bandaged for two weeks. Not to mention the many times the bandage would break off the scab which then resulted in another peroxide cleaning and more bandages!

Daryl
08-05-2002, 12:16 AM
I got really sick for a week once and I suspect it's from inhaling fumes.

wkma7six
08-05-2002, 12:35 AM
I've got a few small cuts on my fingers, but nothing that bled profusely. I tink most ot me brein sels are messing. From all these damn color and gluey thingys that we use to putty the little cars together. Stupid hobby-missing brain cells and getting a bit high sometimes without knowing.:rolleyes:
- Walter

Lownslow
08-05-2002, 01:44 AM
ahh you guys are wusses J/K
ive knicked my self at least 4 times the first time i tried juggling the X acto knife the second grabbing by the blade the third it slipped out of my hand and into my leg(required medical attenton) and fourth i was scared! and i cut 2 of my fingers. yet none of these were too serious for me to stop building cars

Jumpman_Z
08-05-2002, 04:55 AM
Once while trying to open a door, I sliced my thumb pretty badly, and bled a lot. It took a while to heal, but before it did, I sliced it again, and it bled even more. Luckily, it didn't leave a scar.

tazdev
08-05-2002, 05:13 AM
chronic headaches for a week.

Utill I put a lid on my brush cleaner:rolleyes: (I do most of my painting in my room)

no battle scars though (I get those at work)

SilverLotus340R
08-05-2002, 07:15 AM
haha i used to model in my room.. but then i started getting HUGE headaches at night and was getting high off the fumes... so now its in the cellar or garage.

Lets see other than that, i've glued my finger to a model once ( i couldn't get the brakes to stay so i used super glue...now i know why the bottle says " INSTANTLY BONDS SKIN")

I've cut my self many times

and uh..i broke a nose...tripped over the model box and hit a closed door...

stupid.. i know

RIddla
08-05-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by SilverLotus340R
haha i used to model in my room.. but then i started getting HUGE headaches at night and was getting high off the fumes... so now its in the cellar or garage.

Lets see other than that, i've glued my finger to a model once ( i couldn't get the brakes to stay so i used super glue...now i know why the bottle says " INSTANTLY BONDS SKIN")

I've cut my self many times

and uh..i broke a nose...tripped over the model box and hit a closed door...

stupid.. i know
Hehehehe ive theese problems befor all excpet fo the broken nose part i just think it is funny as hell lol sorry bout that hehehe

SilverLotus340R
08-05-2002, 11:50 AM
haha i think its funny as hell..now :p :silly2: :p :silly2: :p

Waggy3141
08-05-2002, 11:51 AM
I get cut occasionally while building. I use super glue to close the cut so I can continue and not get blood on the model. By the time the glue wears away, the cut will have healed. It has the added advantage of keeping out germs so the cut heals more quickly.;)

tonioseven
08-05-2002, 12:45 PM
I got chemical burns from using oven cleaner and Power clean to strip paint, about 10 different X-acto knife scars, and some foul language from my wife for cutting up her holiday tablecloth and getting paint on her new curtains; but the models involved turned out pretty good so that's all that matters!:D

daggerlee
08-05-2002, 12:48 PM
I've been feeling lightheaded for the past couple of days. Not sure if it's from lack of sleep or from the lacquer fumes or from both!? Started on Tuesday and I didn't even touch any paint until Friday, all confused..

Oh yeah, spilled some nail polish remover all over my hand!! If you ever feel hot in the summer, pour some acetone all overyourself to cool off instantly! :eek: :eek: :eek: I think the majority of that acetone absorbed into my skin and is fighting a dangerous battle with my liver :eek: :eek: :eek:

RIddla
08-05-2002, 03:51 PM
I've cut my self a few times with a #11 blade not to pleasent one of the worst things that has happned to me was during shop at school i tried to strip paint on a model with staefty clean and then got sum on ethe bench about 0 minutes later while talking to a hot girl i jumped up onto the bench and sat down right into it not realizing it until i felt a stingning in my rear end and i will tell u one thing saftey clean is not pleast to get on skin it stings and makes skin peel hehehe

Math
03-09-2003, 07:19 AM
yesterday i was trying to make a muffler out of a chrome part and while i was making a hole in the cylinder, the blade went into my finger...SH** it hurt so much...blood was everywhere in my bedroom, on the bed, on my model, on the table....everywhere ya know...
I think i never swore like i did yesterday in my whole life!

anyway this was my story

Rtuned
03-09-2003, 08:12 AM
My incident happen when i was at 11 years old. It kind of stupid, I was cutting the UHU glue on the opener of the tub, (because the glue can't get out) then slice part of my skin and flesh out of my tumb...:eek: it wasn't pain at all, but did nothing to it cause my brain is empty, do not know what to do next, the blood started to run wild. I walk to the kitchen with my hand at my back and walk to take a cloth before going to wash room. I wash it with water, but it doesn't stop. My mom ask what's the blood on the floor, I told her is the chicken bleed (can you believe it, the chicken is already dead long ago, and I said that...lol) She scream at me and I learn a lesson.:rolleyes:

Math
03-09-2003, 08:13 AM
My incident happen when i was at 11 years old. It kind of stupid, I was cutting the UHU glue on the opener of the tub, (because the glue can't get out) then slice part of my skin and flesh out of my tumb... it wasn't pain at all, but did nothing to it cause my brain is empty, do not know what to do next, the blood started to run wild. I walk to the kitchen with my hand at my back and walk to take a cloth before going to wash room. I wash it with water, but it doesn't stop. My mom ask what's the blood on the floor, I told her is the chicken bleed (can you believe it, the chicken is already dead long ago, and I said that...lol) She scream at me and I learn a lesson.

lol:p

supratuner
03-09-2003, 08:20 AM
last summer i was working on chopping the top of an ITR to make it a convertible! well, i was moving the knife towards me and it ended up chopping off 1/2 my thumb, now i have a huge scar there :(

then once again i was working on making a sun roof on my last ITR ( see thread on this page some where ) and i did the same thing again, but it cut my pinky :(

Bimmerkid
03-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Broke a bottle of Model Master paint while attempting to open it, long slice right across my thumb.

deedlit
03-10-2003, 10:29 AM
- Several cuts in the fingers. On all of my fingers.

- X-acto in my leg. The knife was rolling on the table ; I tried to catch it but missed and found it back into my leg.

- paint in the eye. A f....g Humbrol bottle that didn't want to open.

- paint in the mouth. I held the brush between my teeth by the wrong side. I was stoned with the paint :bloated:

That's all folks !!! :D :D

k_dog
03-10-2003, 10:57 AM
hehe...one time. I sliped and poked myself on the tip of my thumb w/an exacto, well It hurt....BAD, but when I did it, I droped the exacto and it went strait into my ankle chipping part of the bone. LOL....Talk about a double whammy....
Brian

lotus_man
03-10-2003, 11:06 AM
More cuts than I care to remember in 25 years of modelling. Most painful was grabbing the wrong end (read: hot end) of a solidering iron while working on an RC car a few years back. Sizzled quite well and smelt terrible...

RyanGiorgio
03-10-2003, 11:07 AM
I posted a thread like this a while ago called "modelling injuries". But anyway, I cut myself with x-acto knives all the time. I have a nice scar on my thumb from one that went through to my nail. It seems that everytime i change the blade to a fresh new on, i cut myself with it.

Guido
03-10-2003, 01:46 PM
That is WEIRD... :shocked:

Are you guys modelling with chain saws and stuff :bloated:
I've never cut myself or anything and the one time I did, it was so light that I can't even remember.

Carefull guys, we don't want accidents.

integra818
03-10-2003, 01:48 PM
I have more cuts on my fingers than hair on my head (no I'm not bald:p )

daggerlee
03-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by RyanGiorgio
I posted a thread like this a while ago called "modelling injuries". But anyway, I cut myself with x-acto knives all the time. I have a nice scar on my thumb from one that went through to my nail. It seems that everytime i change the blade to a fresh new on, i cut myself with it.

:D This thread was from before you wer registered ;)

I haven't had an injury in quite a long while....people, take your time!! it helps!!

fwdfreak
03-10-2003, 01:53 PM
nothing bad for me, just some stoners from sprayin primer :D

SirWelshy
03-10-2003, 02:21 PM
has cut myself many times but luckly no scars ;)

but worse was last summer when i tryed to slice my thumb in two starting at tip of nail n working way down evenly to the knuckle hit bone too but no stitches or scars

Mean_B16
03-10-2003, 03:01 PM
I cut of my right arm one time but is was O.K. because I just scratch built a new one and now I am good to go! I just have do be careful around camp fires, lol:cwn27: :cwn27: :cwn27: :cwn27: :cwn27: :cwn27: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe:

Mean_B16
03-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Mean_B16
I cut my right arm clean off one time in a CRAZY body kit attempt, I thought I new custom body would look good on me, it hurt but is was O.K. because I just scratch built a new one and now I am good to go! I just have do be careful around camp fires, lol:cwn27: :cwn27: :cwn27: :cwn27: :cwn27: :cwn27: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe:

fullbloodchop01
06-25-2003, 10:24 PM
was hackin at a piece of resin today, and it was harder than i thougt, so i decide to put on a fresh #11 blade, well soon after i think i was puttin too much pressure on the knife, well it slipped and went straight into my thumb! i mean this has to be the 100th time i cut my thumb but this time it was deep, it was soo deep i could actully see the meat stickin out of my thumb :frown: it must have cut about 1/8 of an in deep and basically skinned a part of my thumb, since when i took off the paper towle it pulled up my skin and it was almost like i created a damn pocket, it never hurt, just bled more than a womens group around that time of the year (:icon16: )
i guess i gave to much info, well here are some pics (i put alot of ointment on it nd it is healing up pretty good)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/266283cut001.jpg
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/459968cut1copy.jpg
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/581436cut003.jpg

next time i guess ill wear some leather gloves :frown:

TURBOSATURN
06-25-2003, 10:30 PM
My friend just recently purchased a dremel, and put on the cutting wheel to cut something, well the wheel caught the plastic and went right through his thumb!!!! ouch!!!!!

RaceMySS_454
06-25-2003, 10:32 PM
hehe here we go....i cut the area between my thumb and my pointer finger while opening a bottle of testors paint, and the bottle cracked..

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/114788desk.jpg

z33guy
06-25-2003, 10:43 PM
i cant take pics of paints fumes killing my brain cells:tongue: but other than that, im pretty clean so far *knock on wood*

CamaroSSBoy346
06-25-2003, 10:49 PM
skrewed my finger up good. Crushed it in my pocket knife... crushed inbetween blade and where the blade folds into.. not to pretty.. :icon16:

Camber
06-25-2003, 11:15 PM
I managed to get a scar on my ring finger in the shape of a L with a X-Acto. Ive stabbed my hand many times b4 :wink:

Jonno
06-26-2003, 02:56 AM
I have had plenty of cuts before, a lot of blood, not much pain :redface: .

Although the worst cut I have had must be when I was drilling the holes in the spoiler of My R/C car, when the dremel caught onto the Lexan and the drill bit turned into a propeller spinning at 32,000 RPM! Luckily I have quick enough reactions to turn off the dremel and get the spoiler out of my hand. I cleaned up the cut, bandaged it up, and went on drilling, although not at 32,000 rpm this time, and I clamped the spoiler :tongue:

chrismcgee
06-26-2003, 03:37 AM
the most recent one i had was when i just purchaced a new set of micro thin metal saw blades for my dremel, they are great, 0.1mm thick dont melt the plastic and follow the panel lines with ease, but, they also jump out of the plastic and take off the end of your finger, oops, ah well, time for a big plaster, but it was worth it as it only took 3mins to remove every un needed panel and bumper from my targa 350z, and with minimal clean up apart from my blood that is, made a nice spray, hahahaha:dogpile:

fc3sjeff
06-26-2003, 09:20 AM
I have a 1/4 inch scar on the palm of my right hand from the first time I ever used an exacto knife. The glue incident was probably worse, though. One day I was using an almost empty tube of Testors cement, and I folded the tube in half to get all of the glue to the top. What I didn't realize was that when I folded the tube, it ruptured. I then proceeded to rub the glue on my left index finger into my eye. The worst thing was that I couldn't figure out why my eye was itching, so I kept rubbing!

SuperStreet reader
06-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Few cuts from x-acto and paint doesent smell like anything any more got used to it:confused: :confused:

mech0t0
06-26-2003, 11:01 AM
I cut myself with too many times:redface: I Krazy glued my fingers too many times! Now, the skin on my finger tips are thick! :iceslolan
I almost lose my finger prints when using EZ-off oven cleaner :bloated: A lesson learned: Always wear gloves when using chemicals!

BLU CIVIC
06-26-2003, 11:05 AM
this is a funny thread...especially the part about tripping over one of the boxes and breaking ur nose:banghead: :lol:

grandprix92
08-07-2003, 01:37 AM
hmm, where to start. well, ok. here's a recent one. i was custome making a muffler for my 88 Beretta GT when the knife i was using slipped off the muffler and into 3 of my 5 left hand fingers (thumb, index, and middle) the scar is well healed now, (still a little visible on the thumb) and im back at the muffler. but this time, i taped my fingers (electrical tape. it save my fingers 2 more times. same damn muffler, same slipping probalem).

btw, sorry for digging this up. just wanted to post it.

MajorA
08-07-2003, 09:36 AM
I got a good one....'

I was working on a model late at night a few years ago and i was using an exacto knife to help prop up some parts i was glueing (i know, bad idea). So while i was waiting for the stuff to dry i sat back in my chair and fell asleep. Next thing i know i wake up to a small crashing sound and look at my hand to see the exacto knife stuck in my hand, handle up right between my ring finger and little finger. Fortunatly it was in the thicker part of the webbing and dident hit anything crucial. I think i probably needed stiches but i dident want to go to the hospital so i just used about 20 pads of gauze. I now have about a 1/2" inch scar on my hand. (I think i actually cut my hand worse when i grabbed for the knife to get it out)

cartuner
08-07-2003, 11:56 AM
I have a white scar on my right hand from i believe melted plastic that spun out from my dremel. and i have a black paint chip embedded in my right hand from a model i got pissed at and crashed. the tail fin sliced into my hand and left behind the black paint chip.

EMAXX
08-07-2003, 12:10 PM
I don't have any phyical scars, but I think I might have lost a few brain cells from all the chemicals. And now I have the urge to build model cars every chance I get.:devil:

Add your comment to this topic!