Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no Keyless entry but remote checks ok

spazzer99
07-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Hi, appreciate any help on this one.

I have a 98 venture where the keyless entry was not working. I replaced the battery and tried to reprogram with instructions in the manual, and still no go.

Then I took the remote in to the dealership and was tested for signal and apparently is working fine according to them. I am unclear if they are able to tell the difference between just "working" or "working properly".

I checked the price on a new receiver and they quoted like $225.00 (part number 10412651). They have also indicated that it is rare the receivers will go out.

The dealership wanted like $90 just to give an estimate/diagnosis. Geesh I can go to the local car stereo shop and get a complete keyless entry with remote installed for like $150. So why just throw away $90? :shakehead

Anyway, I have been trying to narrow it down and attempt to fix it myself. I did contact a local salvage yard and they have a used receiver from the same make/model. But still don't even know it is the receiver that is bad?

I saw the remotes on ebay for like $30. That is IF it is the remote that is bad?

Earlier I attempted the programming instructions found here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Program-Your-Keyless-Entry-for-a-Chevy-Venture
That didnt work....:banghead:

note, the power lock buttons do lock all doors, does that mean the receiver is good?

getting frustrated tryin to figure this out. Any insight would be great.

rockwood84
07-09-2007, 02:44 AM
try holding the lock and unlock buttons down at the same time for about 7 seconds the horn should sound if the horn sounds then the reciever is recieving

spazzer99
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
ok i went to a salvage yard and got a new receiver. it installed quite easily, right under the dash panel. I also got the remote that was with that receiver. WOOLA!! MY KEYLESS ENTRY WORKS! I now own 2 other keyless remotes, and attempted to program them to work with this new receiver with NO LUCK. BOTH remotes have been tested at the dealer and WORKING. Tried the wiki instructions (above) and removed the fuse, turned key,open/shut door yada yada... they did NOT PROGRAM. unfortunately the guy from ebay i bought the new used remote from wont let me return it for refund, so i am stuck with it. he offered "exchange" but what good is that when it works but wont program.

Add your comment to this topic!