Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Slave/master cylinder problem?

david-b
07-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I've done some searching around, but I can't seem to find a good answer for this. How do you know when the clutch master or slave cylinders are going out? I've got a problem (which I won't explain because then everyone will say ya replace them), but I need to know what the symptoms are of this. Thanks yo.

SilvrEclipse
07-01-2007, 10:36 PM
They both leak when they go bad. So I would assume if they aren't leaking then they are fine. Whats your problem?

clhuff
07-01-2007, 10:50 PM
the clutch will be real easy to engage

SilvrEclipse
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
The clutch pedal will be easy to press. The clutch will not DISengage if either one doesn't work.

david-b
07-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Basically, I've had this problem with the old clutch/tranny, and now it's happening with the new one also. What happens is say I'm at a stop. I put it in first and start letting off the clutch (no gas). The car starts rolling, and then it starts shaking badly. It feels like the clutch isn't holding, but I know that's not true. It's brand new. It happens worse in the same situation, but if I give it gas then. It's hard to explain really. It starts jerking until the clutch is fully let go of. It feels weird. Any ideas on what this is?

Again, I just got a rebuilt tranny and new clutch kit (with TOB). It did it before too. It just started doing it all the time now. Ideas? I need this fixed.

SilvrEclipse
07-02-2007, 09:53 AM
My car likes to do similar things. If you try to go real slow in first, just a little bit of gas the car will start to jerk like hell and I have to push the clutch in to stop it. I think it may just be something you have to deal with. My car also does it in 4th and 5th in low rpms.

david-b
07-02-2007, 10:31 PM
But it's been happening more and more. Before was just every now and then. Usually would do it when cold. Now it happens all the time. Any ideas here?

david-b
07-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I checked my clutch fluid and it looked low, so I filled it up, and it seemed to stop the problem. Did it alittle when I first started up, but then entirely went away. So it seems it may jsut be because of the low clutch fluid.

Now the question is... why is the clutch fluid low? (Insert horror sound here)

20zetechzscort
07-06-2007, 12:19 PM
hi im not trying to be a thread steeler, i have a 90 talon tsi and i have the same problem, no clutch pedal, real easy to push and it wont return up, it just sits at the floor, i thought it was the slave cylinder so i replaced it and that was not it, i dont see any leeking around the master or anywhere else, could it be the release bearing(throw out bearing?) in the tranie? any ideas guys? thanks

david-b
07-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Not even close to the problem I had in the original post. Nowhere even close. Why didn't you just create a new thread?

You've got a bigger problem on hand.

20zetechzscort
07-06-2007, 11:36 PM
well its the same subject" clutch"

spyderturbo007
07-13-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm a little late, but I've been traveling for work a lot lately. Anyway, I would bet that if you stick your head under the dash, you will find your missing clutch fluid on the carpet.

Check both the master and the slave for leakage. When you check the slave, you have to pull back the rubber boot. If it's wet at all, it needs to be replaced.

david-b
07-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Ok, so the clutch reservoir is actually cracked on the bottom, causing it to lose pressure and leak from the reservoir itself. I need a new one, but in the mean time, just patching it up for now. But that was the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!