Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Please help me how to replace the 1997 Park Ave outside Drivers Side Door Handle

dplt0714
07-01-2007, 04:39 PM
There is something internal broke on my driver door handle of buick park avenue 97. When you lift the handle from the outside to open the door and nothing happens. I have to use the inside handle to open it. I openned the door with some instruction from the forum;

Remove the door handle trim plate (6).
Carefully remove the armrest cover plate (2) by prying upward from the access hole using a thin-bladed tool.
Remove the 2 fasteners (3) from the armrest.
Remove the courtesy lamp assembly (5).
Remove the fastener from behind the lamp assembly (4).
Remove the push in retainer from the defroster duct.
Lift straight up on the trim panel in order to disengage the hooks on the backside of the panel (4).However, I don't know which part to replace. My question for the board is how to replace the outside handle at driveside? May you give me instructions? If you give some links with pictures that would be great. Thanks

rcaldwell67
09-22-2008, 08:09 PM
I have the same issue on both front doors on a 1999 Park Avenue. I have taken both door panels off. I can't seem to get a good look inside to see if something broke off of each exterior door handle or just came loose. Before I attempt to take the door handles off I thought I would ask if Greg5150 or anybody else had to replace the door handle or simply secure a part that became dislodged.

The00Dustin
09-22-2008, 09:16 PM
This happened to my 1999 PA Ultra driver side door in 2005, so it must be a fairly common problem. I had a body shop install and paint-match a new handle.

dddaves
10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
1998 Buick Park Avenue Driver Side Door Handle Replacement

Put window up. Remove the inner door panel by removing 3 screws total. Two are located in the arm rest (below the little plastic panel that can be removed using a flat blade screw driver – it needs to be bent up slightly), and the other screw is located behind the door light (use flat blade screw driver to pop out the light). Lift the panel up and a number of clips behind the panel will release as you lift the panel up. Disconnect the wire harness.

There is a black vinyl covering stuck with some kind of black putty to the inner door below the panel. It can be pulled away enough to access the door handle area without removing it completely. I had to pull it off the top two black plastic fasteners and left side, but was able to leave the right side and bottom still stuck on.

Unclip the lock latch rod (bottom black clip) – Picture 1, remove the two bolts holding the handle – the left side bolt (Picture 2) is a little trickier to get at and you’ll need a small 10mm wrench to get at it. The right bolt is easily accessible (Picture 3). The handle will now partially pop out. You now need to unhook the upper latch rod (black clip – Picture 4). The handle will now come out. Picture 5 is the backside of the handle showing the little tip that broke off that I found at the bottom of the door. Don’t worry if you drop one of the bolts in the door – you can easily reach a thin arm down to the bottom of the door!

Take the key lock out and put it into your new handle and follow these steps backwards to put your door back together.

Sorry - my pics aren't uploading.

nathansmithusa
04-18-2010, 04:14 PM
The directions for door handle removal are good for mid-90s thru at least the early 2000 models. I suspect the door handles are the same for all models from 1991 to 2006.
DDDaves did a good job explaining the steps. I want to add that once the old door handle is removed, to install the new one, connect the upper lock bar, then twist and push inward to get the mechanism past the bolt brackets on the door. Once the handle is in place, it's easy to connect the lower bar to the key lock.

BUICKBEAUTY
04-18-2010, 11:16 PM
i also have the same issue...where did you find a replacement and about how much did it cost?

bigsky
04-29-2010, 11:14 PM
i also have the same issue...where did you find a replacement and about how much did it cost?

There are a bunch on e-bay for various doors $39 shipped. Search "Buick Park Handle."

Make sure to get the rubberband man to help put it in. Can be done but prefer a skinny (and rubber) arm. There are some screwdriver (nutdriver) plugs on the door to help. Lock rod (or the door handle rod?) disconnects half way down the door with a plastic clip...finding this will make the job a lot easier. Try not to drop the nuts in the bottom of the door.

These things break easy...a plastic piece activates and it should be made of metal. Seems like something is just loose but the plastic piece inside broke off.

RT Jam
04-30-2010, 07:53 PM
I took mine all apart, with intentions on replacing the handle.

Only to find the pin the handle hinges on was slide out of position. Slide it back into position and used a tie wrap to keep it from sliding out again. Each end of the pin is crimped and it supposed to keep it centered but one of my crimps is not quite crimped and that's why mine slide out. I'm confident the tie wrap will not let it slide out again.

bigsky
05-01-2010, 12:21 AM
I took mine all apart, with intentions on replacing the handle.

Only to find the pin the handle hinges on was slide out of position. Slide it back into position and used a tie wrap to keep it from sliding out again. Each end of the pin is crimped and it supposed to keep it centered but one of my crimps is not quite crimped and that's why mine slide out. I'm confident the tie wrap will not let it slide out again.

Well there goes the theory that they are all broke...

As always, have to take a looksy-see to determine what is up...or down...or out...or broke.

dddaves
05-08-2010, 08:06 PM
The part is $100 new at the dealer. You may want to buy a new one (ouch) as the old ones may be just as weak as the one that broke.

wasawilson
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi All,
Have read through all the posts on the door handle replacement for Buick
Park Avenue, but on my 2000 year I get the door apart and there is metal
sheet covering the actual region where the door lock/handle reside.
How are people seeing where the door handle linkage comes in? Can you
remove the door handle from the exterior? The whole door handle assembly
is riveted to the X that runs the automatic window. Is this a DIY job..or am I really missing something? Please help me see the light on how to access this
area from the inside door panel.
Thanks for helping a slow one!
Wasa

Tech II
03-06-2012, 10:35 AM
OK....the window has to be up......

Do you have the door panel removed?

Did you peel back the water barrier from the upper left rear corner(don't have to remove the whole thing)?

Now you should be able to get a small light in there and look at the linkage from the handle to the latch assembly.....when you lift the handle does the linkage move? Or has the linkage come loose and is off the handle(just reattach it)?

If it is broken, then there are two(I think), 10mm nuts or bolts which hold the handle in place.....you access them with a 1/4" extension and 10mm swivel head socket.....then you can pull the handle assembly outward(I cover the outer edge of the opening with duct tape to prevent possibly scratching the paint).....then disconnect the linkage.....then reverse it all....

wasawilson
03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi..thanks for your quick posting.

Yes, I removed the door panel, peeled back the black sound barrier.
I can see about 75% of the two metal linkages running from right to left..one for the locking mechanism
and one for the tumbler. I can pull/slide each linkage to the right and hear
them engage.
The exterior door handle (drivers side) is not engaging to release the tumbler...but I cannot see how to remove the door handle.

I am blocked by the sheet metal of the door frame from seeing the actual door locking mechanism on the far lefthand side that is held in place by three sheet metal screws along the edge of the door frame.

I can shine a halogen light in the cavity but cannot see where the linkages
actually attach to the door locking mechanism. Can't even get my hand between the sheet metal and the linkages. Sounds like I'm the only one with the sheet metal of the door frame along the left hand side? I would love to take sheet metal shears to the frame, but that's just frustration talking.

So I'm stuck from reaching anything from the inside of the peeled back door frame.

Thanks,
Wasa

Tech II
03-06-2012, 09:32 PM
You don't have to mess with the lock assembly......when you operate the handle from the outside, does the linkage move the latch on the lock assembly? If it doesn't, and the linkage is attached to the door handle, you need a handle.....

One thing that might help you is this: there is a rear window guide in the way....remove the bolt at the bottom of the guide bracket(window must be up), and then push the guide upward about an inch, and it should disengage and can be removed.....

Also there is a plastic plug in the door(about the size of a quarter), in the
upper left corner....pop it out, and I think one of the 10mm bolt/nuts is behind it.....the other one is at the opposite end of the handle...

wasawilson
03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the excellent detail in your last message!
I originally thought it might be the linkages..but it wasn't.
As you describe, it is the door handle.
I will follow your instructions and see if I can't replace it
this weekend.
Will let you know how it goes.
I will check ebay and local junkyards for replacement door handle..
is it the handle that fails? or some other connector the handle is attached to?

I really appreciate your responses, you really know these cars!

Best regards

Add your comment to this topic!