Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya Rubbing/Polishing compound

Jonno
11-02-2002, 07:26 AM
Today at the hobby shop, I bought some Tamiya Rubbing/ Polishing compound, the type in a tube. Does anybody know how to use this? Is it used just like the wax? And will this make the my models shinier or will it just cut back the orange peel?

Cheers.

Veyron
11-02-2002, 07:31 AM
It will do both. I use a cotton cloth and rub fairly hard so as to burnish the paint with it. Put more on to do cutting, less on to polish the final shine. Paint a hood or something with some TS paint and practice.:)

tonioseven
11-02-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Veyron
It will do both. I use a cotton cloth and rub fairly hard so as to burnish the paint with it. Put more on to do cutting, less on to polish the final shine. Paint a hood or something with some TS paint and practice.:) Couldn't have said it better myself!:cool:

primera man
11-02-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by thug_9_6
Today at the hobby shop, I bought some Tamiya Rubbing/ Polishing compound, the type in a tube. Does anybody know how to use this? Is it used just like the wax? And will this make the my models shinier or will it just cut back the orange peel?

Cheers.

The compound will not remove the orange peel if it is really bad.... it would be quicker to sand then use the rubbing compound after.

integra818
11-02-2002, 11:50 PM
How can I get the swirl marks out? I use the same ammount of polish as you would on a toth brush, I scrub the car with the polish and keep on scrubbin ubtil the polish has rubbed off, am I doin something wrong? Should I use a softer towel, I used a normal t-shirt.

TheSyndicate
11-02-2002, 11:56 PM
I suppose I can apply some real life auto concepts here>

The circular motion of polishing and waxing isn't recommended. In most cases try to follow the lines of the body. Use an old t-shirt or some flannel cloth and possibly some cotton gloves to prevent natural skin oils from getting on the paint. Dab a little on your cloth and rub it on the paint, rubbing in where needed. After that, move to a clean part of the cloth and wipe off the residue. Get another clean part of the cloth and rub out the remaining, and finally get another clean part of the cloth and give it a final buff.

JE123
11-03-2002, 01:10 AM
Nice thread. I've been using the stuff wrong then. I used to gently apply the compound to the body, and would swirl it on.

I'm gonna have to test these new techniques out. They should help me out a lot.

Jonno
11-03-2002, 01:21 AM
I thought that you were suppose to rub it on in a circluar motion on real cars :confused:

Guido
11-03-2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by primera man

.... it would be quicker to sand then use the rubbing compound after.

I never suffer from any orange peel, thank goodness those days are behind me :rolleyes: I do suffer a lot of dust particles in my clear coats and what I do then is sand them and polish them with "Turtle wax" and finish with Tamiya wax. But the trutle wax seems a bit to aggresive on the clear coat... hmm will pick up this compound next weekend at the UK Nationals in Telford and start some experimenting with it. :D

Bobj
11-03-2002, 05:07 AM
I use Mr rubbing compound with a damp cloth followed by a dry buff which seems to work very well .:)

BWheel
11-03-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by huudo

I never suffer from any orange peel, thank goodness those days are behind me :rolleyes: I do suffer a lot of dust particles in my clear coats and what I do then is sand them and polish them with "Turtle wax" and finish with Tamiya wax. But the trutle wax seems a bit to aggresive on the clear coat... hmm will pick up this compound next weekend at the UK Nationals in Telford and start some experimenting with it. :D

Hi Huudo,

When you're at the nationals, let me know if you can get hold of some of this stuff. Every model shop in the UK I've been to has said it's not imported into this country, which is very disappointing. I'll probably pick some up next time I'm in South Africa, or the US.

I've got some good results with T-Cut this weekend though, and would definitely say it works WAY faster than the Tamiya compound. Just need to be careful how far you go, as it does seem to bite pretty quick. Nice finish though.

TheSyndicate
11-03-2002, 01:28 PM
Circular motion is how the majority of swirl marks appear on paint. Even when not visible, there's a lot of dirt particles.

Add your comment to this topic!