engine dies immediately after startup

schreib
07-01-2007, 10:27 AM
my 1999 ROdeo had been running just fine. Out of the blue it started dying just after engine started-- mostly after engine had been run and was already warm or hot. Usually, not first thing in morning. Since it has 95K on it I decided to do some maint items due anyway to see if that helped. NEW Air, fuel filters, new double platinum Denso plugs, new PCV valve(old was plugged). None of that affected the symptoms. Next on agenda is EGR cleaning. Any suggestions of other items to address before I am forced to bring in to the dealer? thanks!

amigo-2k
07-01-2007, 12:24 PM
A good EGR cleaning may help and you may also want to clean up for you battery terminals and clean up the ground points from the battery. Next i would start it up and lightly tug on the engine wire harness on the drives side to see if it kills (could be a broken wire).

After that, if you have never replaced the intake manifold gasket, it could also cause this issue too (I've replaced mine 2x in 70k under warranty).

schreib
07-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Since my post, I did remove the EGR and check and clean it. It really was working just fine. Free movement of pintle etc. Yet, I still did clean it up and sent half spray can of gumout Carb and choke cleaner down the small hole outlet to vacuum to no avail. Also, have concluded that the symptons ONLY happen when the engine is HOT. (wife's car). It starts and runs fine when cold, or EVEN if re-started less than 5 minutes after running and STILL HOT. SO, does this STILL sound like it could be fixed by replacing the intake gasket?. . .

amigo-2k
07-03-2007, 07:15 PM
did you clean the egr tube? Lots of info on how to clean it in the FAQ's along with how to test for a bad intake manifold gasket.

schreib
07-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Yes, I did clena the EGR tube but only from the EGR end. I take it you are implying I should also do it from the end sticking into the throttle body. Will do, and then report forthcoming. thanks.

tshirton
07-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi there schrieb: Had this problem in Dec. of 06. Went through everything, including EGR. Final diagnosis: A vaccuum leak in the Planum (hope I spelled that right). Save yourself the grief (which I didn't) take it to the dealer. Cost: about $350. It ended up costing me $1500 because I took it to a local yokol...Good luck.

Dober89
07-04-2007, 05:43 PM
It sounds alot like the IMG because whatever crack in the gasket that would cause it to run bad is probably not so bad when the engine is cold. Once you warm it up though and open that leak up thats where you get your problem. I had a similar problem when mine was bad, my rodeo would die when I pulled it into the garage and put it in park.

Try spraying carb cleaner around the lower part of the intake manifold and see if that alters the idle of the engine.

nozelle
07-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I ahve a 99 Rodeo with a similar problem. You may want to check your Intake Air Control (IAC) valve also. I cleaned the EGR with no change (you can still clean it of course). Usually after the car is running for over an hour this can happen. I've also seen it happen the first time you crank it up in the morning. It sounds as if the vehicle is starving for air. At other times the engines revs are high-up to 2500rpm, then it reduces by itself. Usully the "Check Engine" light will come on and then go off after a few minutes of driving. IAC costs between $30-40.

schreib
07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
thanks for all the help folks. I dumped a can of techron in the other day and will let it run thru that tank of gas before taking any big steps. I also plan to spray some starter fluid into the area around the bottom of intake manifold to check for idle speed change. The IAC sounds like a possibility but not sure how to diagnose for it being bad.

tshirton
07-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Hate to give you more bad news...but had the intake gasket done as well, also new plugs. Can you take it for a diagnostic check at the dealer? they charge 30 bucks...I am now dealing with the sending unit in the gas tank...If I didn't love my truck so much and had the means, I would trade it in. The problem is that if you go to other cars' forums, you will encounter bad apples there too...so we just plug/pay away...hey?

schreib
07-07-2007, 12:39 PM
. . . well, tshirton, yeah, I plan to try one more simple fix before bringing it in for a diagnosis-- replacing the fuel pressure regulator. I ordered one and received the wrong one, had to return it. Today, while have my shocks replaced the mechanic drove the car into the lot and commented that "by the way it starts, looks like the fuel pressure regulator could be bad". . . so I will get one $90 and install for a cheap, simple repair. Can't hurt. Got the OEM in there -- 95K miles-- so it is due anyway. . . rationalizing again!
Brian

tshirton[/B]]Hate to give you more bad news...but had the intake gasket done as well, also new plugs. Can you take it for a diagnostic check at the dealer? they charge 30 bucks...I am now dealing with the sending unit in the gas tank...If I didn't love my truck so much and had the means, I would trade it in. The problem is that if you go to other cars' forums, you will encounter bad apples there too...so we just plug/pay away...hey?

schreib
07-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Well folks my original diagnosis plan was correct: Replacing the fuel pressure regulator solved the problem. Symptoms: immediate stalling / engine dies after turning engine on, mostly after engine has been warmed up. Starting again WITHIN A MINUTE OR SO after the engine has been running, does NOT cause the symptom-- engine starts cleanly no problem. The 1999 Rodeo has 95K miles on it. First fix attempts centered around doing needed maintenance items: had charging system(battery, alternator, etc) checked at Sears, new fuel filter, new spark plugs, PCV valve(plugged), air filter. NONE of these maint items did a thing to change symptoms. Top suggested fix: Intake manifold gasket.

boritz
07-14-2007, 12:11 AM
...Replacing the fuel pressure regulator solved the problem...

Good-on-ya schrieb, I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to post the results and solutions to their problems :).

Add your comment to this topic!