Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 B350 engine dies while driving

eojocd
07-01-2007, 12:40 AM
I have a 1993 Dodge Ram Van/Wagon model B350, while driving the engine will die sporatically sometioms it restarts it did not restart. it was originally thought to be a fuel pump but a friend of mine asked if it was getting spark, it wasn't so we replaced the coil and it started fine and I figured it was fixed but then it did it again. it took 1/2 hour to restart the van but I finally drove it home and there it sits until I can figure out what is wrong, I cant afford another $125.00 tow any ideas on what the cause is??

7-14-07
Thanks for the info, but I do not hink it is the fuel pump since when the key is turned on I, (while laying under the van somone else turning the key) hear the pump kick on. The van has been at the mechanics since 3 days after my 1st post and they can not get it to act up, (what else is new), I will try the crankshaft posistion sensor and let you know what happens. thanks again

alloro
07-01-2007, 01:24 AM
If you have fuel injection most likely it's the crankshaft position sensor, about 40-45 bucks. Look on the back of the engine (top) passenger side for a sensor with 2 bolts, a bracket and a 3-wire plug. Change it and you should be good to go.

It could be the PCM or the camshaft position sensor, but the crank sensor is the cheap and easy to change option to go after first. I had a similar problem where mine would just die and wouldn't start for a while, similar to your problem and it did turn out to be the crank sensor.

831johnc
07-05-2007, 04:39 PM
I have a 1993 Dodge Ram Van/Wagon model B350, while driving the engine will die sporatically sometioms it restarts it did not restart. it was originally thought to be a fuel pump but a friend of mine asked if it was getting spark, it wasn't so we replaced the coil and it started fine and I figured it was fixed but then it did it again. it took 1/2 hour to restart the van but I finally drove it home and there it sits until I can figure out what is wrong, I cant afford another $125.00 tow any ideas on what the cause is??
This sounds like a fuel pump problem. As a quick check, with the key on try tapping lightly on the bottom of the fuel tank under the fuel pump. If it's the fuel pump you will hear it start running and then you should be able to start the van. After spending mucho (wasting) money at the Dodge dealer I had to figure out the fuel pump problem myself. My van has been reliable for about 2000 miles since I changed the pump. good luck

eojocd
07-14-2007, 03:41 AM
7-14-07
Thanks for the info, but I do not hink it is the fuel pump since when the key is turned on I, (while laying under the van somone else turning the key) hear the pump kick on. The van has been at the mechanics since 3 days after my 1st post and they can not get it to act up, (what else is new), I will try the crankshaft posistion sensor and let you know what happens. thanks again for your help.

eojocd
09-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I have been through a month of trials and errors, My mechsnoc had my van for almost the entire month. Every time it would stall he would tow it in and when it got to his shop it would start and never fail as soon as I would pick it up and drive it in a day or so it would fail. the crankshaft posistion sensor has been replaced and that was the longest period of time which it ran flawlesly, but then did the same thing again. The fuel pump was removed and tested and it is working fine. Currently I am at aloss since the mechanic can not get it to fail he can not run the code test on it. any other ideas ?

Thanks

alloro
09-06-2007, 11:46 PM
If he cannot run the code test, then the PCM (computer) is bad.

Add your comment to this topic!