Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny Info?

XGamesJ6
06-30-2007, 09:05 PM
I have a 1993 cutlass supreme SL with the 3.1L V6, does anyone know where i can get a new/rebuilt/good condition tranny (4T60-E) and either way how hard would it be to replace it. i know i have to drop the whole subframe and lift the car up, but what exactly would i need to do. is there a way where i dont have to disconnect everything? The reason i ask is because my current tranny is noisy, It works 100% fine. no problems. except its got a whine in P and N, and while driving through the first 3 gears that i can hear, and now i have a horrible rattle when i turn right. and im fairly sure that its coming from the tranny. something inside.

Also does anyone know how hard it will be to re-build it myself. i found several rebuild kits. but those are mostly seals and such. and i dont know about the pump or the gears or anything...any help from anyone would be Great!!!

Thanks guys...later

3100MPFI
07-01-2007, 12:49 AM
a rattle when turning sounds more like a bad AXLE.

A whine at park and neutral also sounds more like low fluid than anything.

Check your fluid levels, then take a look at the boots on the axles. If any of them have breaks or tears in there (look for grease on the subframe), then the axle needs to be replaced.

I also got some clicking noises at one time and it was the WHEEL BEARING.

Check the little things before you assume it is the big things. If it can save you $1500 for a rebuild, then it is worth it.

XGamesJ6
07-01-2007, 12:12 PM
im pretty sure the Axles are fine, i checked them not to long ago, both sides are fine, boots are in good condition, and theres no play in the axle itself. So i ruled those out, my right side wheel bearing has some play in it however, but there is no noise from it, unless thats what it is when im turning. i plan to replace that anyways. Fluid levels are all perfect, everything is tip top, including tranny. Im pretty sure the pump has problems, like bad seals or something.

Add your comment to this topic!