Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Amp questions.

forcheck
06-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi all I have a few Questions that many of You would probably think rediculous. I have a 2005 Ford Explorer. I replaced the factory stereo with an Alpine cda-9857. I also replaced the rear speakers with a set of Kicker KS 68's and the front ones with Alpine SPR 57LP's. The system sounds pretty good as it is but when I listen to My sons Mach system in his Mustang or my Wifes Mongoose system in her grand Prix I doesn't sound as good. The common thing with those systems is the amps.

I do have a little experienc in stereo and CB install but I never put an amp in. I know that I will purchase an amp install kit and run the power through the firewall to the battery. No problem there, I also understand that I will have to run a rmote on wire on the same side as the power wire from the back of the deck to the amp. Here's the confusion. After running the RCA plugs from the deck to the amp do I still have to run speaker from the amp to all four speakers? If so should I just run speaker wires to where my stereo is and splice into the wires already there.

Thanks in advance for all and any help. By the way I guess i am leaning towards the Alpine amp. I think it is 70 watts per channel rms, whatever that means. Also what does it mean when it says either 2ohms or 4 ohms. and what is bridging? Thanks again:screwy:

NAVY IC
06-30-2007, 09:01 PM
ohms is how we measure resistance to current. a 2 ohm load is less resistive than a 4 ohm load so given the same amount of current, you can get
more power (watts) out of an amp connected to a sub with 2ohms of resistance than you can get from an amp connected to a sub with 4ohms of resistance.

NAVY IC
06-30-2007, 09:12 PM
After running the RCA plugs from the deck to the amp do I still have to run speaker from the amp to all four speakers?
If so should I just run speaker wires to where my stereo is and splice into the wires already there. Thanks again:screwy:

To me, that's like taking a shower and putting on the same socks you just took off...

Will that connection work...??
short answer, yes...

Is this the best way..??
short answer, no...

Will you notice the difference...??
Odds are you probably wouldn't...
It depends on how sensitive you are to the little nuances...

Add your comment to this topic!