Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Mazda3Speed, New Civic Si, New VW GTI, Chevy Cobalt SS,Dodge Neon SRT-4, New Mini

DriftinDraggin
06-30-2007, 07:56 PM
I was wondering what everyone thought about these cars. Which do you think is the best?

sickcallawayc12
06-30-2007, 10:32 PM
I hate neons, but I chose the SRT anyway as its probably the best bang for buck performance and cheap aftermarket parts.

BlackGT2000
06-30-2007, 11:29 PM
I chose the GTI, I did test drive one and loved it. I would consider one if something happened to the civic I own now.

MonsterBengt
07-01-2007, 03:13 AM
The Golf. Don't like the looks and all, but hey, a fat ass can be good too.

silentscreams85
07-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I dont think there is a necessarily a "best". The Mazda3 is the quickest definetly. but i would take the GTi.

drunken monkey
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
why is it civic si and not the type-r?

silentscreams85
07-02-2007, 03:09 PM
the civic type r isnt available in the u.s. i believe eurpoe gets the type r version. they share the same engine except the type r is a 3 door hatch that weighs less than the si coupe.

BlackGT2000
07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
^^ the Type R has 20 more HP last I heard, and the euro civic is much different than the US civic. The euro civic does not have double wishbone rear suspension, it has a straight bar setup similar to the cobalt.

Moppie
07-03-2007, 01:35 AM
The euro civic does not have double wishbone rear suspension, it has a straight bar setup similar to the cobalt.

Nope, the new Civic has McPherson struts, its the smaller Jazz/Logo/Fit that has a beam axle at the back.

DinanM3_S2
07-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Tough one, but I think I got to say GTI. It isn't the quickest, but it is just so much more refined then the MS3, Si, SS, Cooper S, and SRT4. The MS3, SS, and SRT4 are pretty rough around the edges, the Cooper is too small, and I guess I'm just too old to drive a Civic Si.

BurntGauge
07-07-2007, 12:58 AM
GTI is the most balanced out of all of them.

True the MS3 is the fastest...but w/torque steer problems, motors falling out, and questionable reliability and cheap interior parts...I'll pass.

SRT4 is fast too...but it's American and still a Neon/Caliber under it all...and it looks hideous.

MCS is just too small and too cute...it's not practical enough and might be too rough for everyday...and you'll probably never look manly getting out of it.

Civic Si has no torque and interior quality is not the greatest...not to metion the interior is far out...literally.

Cobalt SS is underrated...but not on the level of the GTI in terms of build quality and interior attractiveness.

egptnwarrior22
07-27-2007, 07:52 PM
as a vw owner i just had to vote for the gti bc its one of the funnest cars to drive in that price range...but to me the mini was a close second simply because its also really fun to drive and how many cars get that much mpg w/ a turbo/super(pre 2006)charger...but the gti's turbo and dsg transmission give it the leg up to me

98BlackTransAm
08-15-2007, 12:19 AM
i voted for the skittle since it's potentially the fastest on the list. haha i kno most ppl hate the looks of the srt-4, but i'm not gonna lie they've somehow grown on me. only problem is they threw too much power onto a stock neon chassy, and half of the srt-4 owners i kno of seems to have totalled theirs :frown:
..oh well,, domestic rice ftw :)

jcsaleen
08-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Either the Mazda speed 3 or the GTi. My friend just picked up the new GTI with the little paddles and I must say it's quite fun. The mazda is faster but definely has Tq steer way to much. Honestly I'd rather have the Gti.

:2cents:

ZRYDERVR4
08-31-2007, 02:36 AM
is it just the cobalt ss or the ss/sc?
if it's just the ss i'd go with the si but if its the ss/sc that will be a hard one!!!

BurntGauge
09-14-2007, 05:47 AM
is it just the cobalt ss or the ss/sc?
if it's just the ss i'd go with the si but if its the ss/sc that will be a hard one!!!

I'd assume it was the SS/SC.

GForce957
09-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Of course

Polygon
09-20-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm sorry but you can't the bang for the buck of the SRT-4 and if you get an ACR it will out handle any car on the list except maybe the Mini. A close second would go to the Mazda Speed 3.

Jimster
09-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Mazda3- the Mazdaspeed (Or MPS as we know it here) has massive torque steer issues, so stay clear if you don't know what you're doing.

Civic- Bland, but reliable and pretty quick, should handle OK, but Honda has been going downhill massively in this department of late, not helped by thier vague lifeless steering.

VW- massively entertaining, very well built and very comfortable and practical, bit porky though

MINI- the most fun if you can live without the practicality.

SRT4- getting on now, I'd say that most would have been thrashed mercilessly. Not as good as the Euro options IMHO. Were good in thier day though

Cobalt- Drove an SS, hated it, to say it is an improvement on the Cavalier is like saying a Fiat Uno is a pretty nice step up from a Yugo.

BurntGauge
09-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry but you can't the bang for the buck of the SRT-4 and if you get an ACR it will out handle any car on the list except maybe the Mini. A close second would go to the Mazda Speed 3.

Yeah but overall the quality of the interior is very lacking and the styling inside and out is boring and uninspired. I am not sure of the reliablility but that's something also to consider.

Polygon
09-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah but overall the quality of the interior is very lacking and the styling inside and out is boring and uninspired. I am not sure of the reliablility but that's something also to consider.

I can't argue with you there. However, you can't have it all. It is a cheap speed car. You can't have a fast luxery car for around $22,000.

98BlackTransAm
09-23-2007, 06:53 PM

reliability seems to be good if it's driven like a neon,, but considering most of the parts (including the chasis) are from a stock neon, they tend to have issues when driven really hard.

lamehonda
09-23-2007, 08:20 PM
You people obviously don't read. It says which one would you take in a RACE. And then all ya'll pick the GTI even though you say it's not the fastest. Wouldn't you want the fastest car in a RACE???? :)

Stock SRT-4 or MS3 would obviously be the fastest in any racing situation not sure which of these two would be the fastest.

BurntGauge
09-23-2007, 10:32 PM
You people obviously don't read. It says which one would you take in a RACE. And then all ya'll pick the GTI even though you say it's not the fastest. Wouldn't you want the fastest car in a RACE???? :)

Stock SRT-4 or MS3 would obviously be the fastest in any racing situation not sure which of these two would be the fastest.

Regardless of what the OP said, I think you cant live your life in a RACE. You're going to have to live w/the car and none of these are just weekend only cars...they make great daily drivers. So based on that...the GTI is the reason it comes out the winner. It's the most liveable, practical, best interior, and good all arounder.

drunken monkey
09-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Regardless of what the OP said, I think you cant live your life in a RACE.

which is why I tend to ignore these sort of comparisons; they often bear very little resemblance to the real world choices. I mean, If $22,000 is your budget, there are better ways to win a race.

lamehonda
09-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Like a used stang or f-body camaro. For 22k, you would make any of these cars look silly at the strip.

BurntGauge
09-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Like a used stang or f-body camaro. For 22k, you would make any of these cars look silly at the strip.

See but now you're just getting outside the given parameters. You're choosing cars that are not on the list. Plus Stangs or F-bodys cant really turn...lol.

lamehonda
09-25-2007, 08:47 PM
You guys already wandered outside the parameters when you made interior an issue in a race. Who said anything about turns??

BurntGauge
09-27-2007, 08:11 PM
You guys already wandered outside the parameters when you made interior an issue in a race. Who said anything about turns??

Who said anything about used cars? YOU!

originalKyotE
10-04-2007, 09:38 PM
well I like the GTI just hurd that the years I was looking just seem a little to hard to handle maitnence wise. according to others. The si since it is a civic made by honda it is gonna have a lot of support. Mini being a BMW is gonna go like a euro car. honestly I hate neons and preformance or not it is still a neon. a fast neon but a neon. just means your insurance is gonna be that much higher. I like the mazdas. they really do seem to put some raceing knowledge into the cars they make. But as down as I am with imports I would love to have a ss/sc. I love the ecotech engine in general. with the new GM upgrader you can make it to 300 with little money. It did take FWD as one of the fastest cars around. of course that was totaly modified. but still. I will have to go with the cobalt.

edit: And if someone can give me personal experience on say something like a 2002-03 GTI on how hard it is to maintain I would love it. I just hear a lot on maitnence and don't want to fork over 9k on it if that is the case. VR6 is what I am after due to 200 hp.

VR43000GT
10-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Hands down the SRT-4. If we are talking about overall performance it can not be beat by any of those up there. The MS3 is a close second but the SRT-4 is still faster. I like the SS/SC too but it just does not have the power like the SRT-4 and having driven both, the SRT-4 would walk a SS/SC without much trouble.

Add your comment to this topic!