Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

85 GT V-8 Engine Swap Questions

85GT 2M82B
06-28-2007, 10:42 PM
OK all here is the scoop. I recently purchased an 85 GT with the 2.8 liter and 4 speed Muncie trans. This little v-6 has seen it's last days in the world it has a cracked block due to lack of antifreeze and some cold Mid-West ice storms. So with no love lost on the V-6's and the problems that they have been plagued with and limitations I am taking a different approach.
I am a bit old school and really like the 305/327/350 v-8's without fuel injection. Again I said WITHOUT FUEL INJECTION. The body mods and cradle mods are no issue for me as I do that all the time anyways. My quest is to get away from all the fuel injection and ECM's and the issues that seem to really cause lots of issues with this great little design of a car. The questions I have and the info I am seeking is from personal experience/knowledge with such a thing. I know a 350 will fit and will mount up to the Muncie 4 speed without much effort. But what I am cloudy on is if the little Muncie requires the ECM to operate properly and shift? Id like to remove the ECM all together and be as old school as possible. If the Muncie will require the ECM to be in place what steps should I take to make it all work? If I need to drop in another trans from say a Tornado or other car whats the best tranny (Car model and year) for the job to avoid all the computer mess?
It's been allot of years since I have built a 350 or like engine ,but If I remember right all the older V-8 engines required to run properly was ignition, coil, distributor and spark. I stand corrected if I am wrong set me straight. I'll be looking for a mid 80's to possible mid 90's 305/327/350 to rebuild with a few engine mods such as performance cam/high performance pistons/nice valve job. I am not so much on the horse power as I am on the reliability under my foot. Anyways a stock 305 will burn your tires to the wires without any mods on this light car. Have not checked into the weights of the v-8's but should be somewhere close to reason with some new coil over springs and struts. Any suggestions on the year model and make of a good light weight 350/305?
Any ways I have not approached v-8 Archie's for any info on this as I am sure they will not be so forth coming with information. As this is their bread and butter. I am looking for someone that might have some good solid information for me to use going forward.
Oh and another reason I am getting away from the fuel injection/ECM is that the previous owner of this little Fiero found it necessary to cut all the wires up and real do a hack job of it. You wouldn't believe the mess he left me to clean up. It's a fire waiting to happen. I want the whole thing out of the car and will be if I get some good links to info from you guys.
Again thanks for your time and any links or contacts or personal knowledge that you might have to get me headed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Oh and by the way I am in Texas in a non-Emissions county so Smog tests/ emissions are not a concern. God love Texas country living.

Jim
Fort Worth , Texas
85GT 2M82B
85FIEROGT@gmail.com

kremlin
06-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Not to rain on your concept - just a note to ponder from experience::

:shakehead

You won't like the car when you're done - it WILL try and kill you.

With a Fiero or old Porsche 'Bath-Tub' '64 coupe - WEIGHT is the enemy -
as rear engined cars with short wheelbases act like a 'hammer' when you
put it on a table and spin it > try it - you'll fully understand One problem -

coming home one night on a country road here in Upstate New York - in a '64 Porsche C coupe - i hit a rise - small short hill that descended down to a 90 degree left - or - you went over the embankment 15 feet into the creek.

as I crested the rise - I hit road fog - total white out - hit the brakes...

since the suspension had 'unloaded' at the crest of the hill - the second I touched the brake to 'tap out' some speed - the rear came around - sending me backwards down the slope.

Next problem is when you 'jounce' the car on the road - it yanks the front wheels off the ground - seen Ferrari cars unable to make simple turns after hitting a washboard - just slide into the cones or barriers - did this in the C coupe - missed hitting some Apple Trees.

I've seen Fieros with the conversion you're talking about - FOR SALE - and with 'slams' into the rear bumper or smacked in rear quarters - as the car spun on the owner and they'd had enough.

PORSCHE 911 cars use ultra light alloys in their engines - flat 6 motors to lower the CG of the engine / trans mass - and have ultra spec'd out rear suspensions - and - WIDE rear rims - and - kill more owners than IED explosives in Iraq yearly. Usually, the rear unloads and comes around, perhaps from a 'mist' on the roadway that 'lifts' the oil film up - rear comes around and a tree comes into the drivers door - 80% of the time - and Fatal.

GM cast iron engines are 500 lbs or more. A Toronado transaxle is god knows what - you'd have to have a nearly solid mounted rear end without much travel as one bounce would send you into Orbit.....

IF you want to build a 'Straight Line' Drag Race car - OK.. but trailer Queen it is without plates as it will kill you given the slightest chance.

Spin the hammer and have a beer while pondering my words - "don't".

I don't know your Financial budget for this build - so I'll kick a few thought at you - you won't like these either:

The GM all aluminum engine - LS1 ? - you'll have a low WEIGHT engine -
but you'll still have a high large MASS of material that will upset the handling.

Handling = staying on the road in the direction you chose.

GM has some DOHC V-6 all Alloy motors - yes - you can opt out of the EFi with individual Throttle Body injection or Carbs.

Toyota - has all alloy engines - with supercharger kits available.

They also have a 450 lb. all alloy V8 > 1 UZ FE or 3 UZ FE engines used in Lexus cars: www.lextreme.com - good reading.

Personally I would look towards a GM all alloy V-6 DOHC engine that would RPM like crazy and you could Turbo later on.

Back to EFi:

GM EFi systems are the easiest to hook up - there are PLENTY of "Plug 'n Play" ECM aftermarket harnesses available - just hook up the wires to the sensors and plug the other end into the ECM - 20 minute job - done deal.

As you have an EFi fuel tank - you're miles ahead of the pack - so give this some further thought.

I do see people installing the Northstar Cadillac V-8.

They rave about the car for awhile - then it gets parked 'n sold...:runaround:

Problems here again: WEIGHT and high cg MASS = dangerous characteristics.

Other problem with these engines is that the bolt holes are threaded right into the Alloy - no inserts except for the New Supercharged CTS engine - so they weep / leak / seep oil.

Think about an engine that is a DOHC V6 - all alloy - and Turbo it later on with 6 lbs. boost - easily done and you'll have a howling handling screamer or a mild mannered road machine by spinning the boost controller down.

Run wide 'Wet Weather' rear tires - plenty of rain grooves to keep traction on greasy streets.

Think low cg MASS and Lite Weight.

Old Lar
07-01-2007, 06:39 AM
I have a Fiero with a ZZ4 (350 V8 @ 355 HP) and it can be a scary drive so you need to be aware of road conditions and how the car handles. It has a TPI. (built by V8 Archie)

If you go carburated, you'll eliminate the need for an ECM. A manual transmission does not need an ECM.

A high HP V8, may not be the best cruising car $$ gas prices make it an expensive ride. A nice comprimise is a 3800SC, lots of power with good economy, but needs an ECM to run the engine.

It all comes down to what are your skill levels to buid up a car or how deep is your wallet to have one built. Not only will you need the engine, but suspension and brake upgrades.

85GT 2M82B
07-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey Guys

Thanks for the reply. I did decide to go with the 350 LS1. I am aware of the safety issues with the weight and the power. Im not much on the street racing and really look for the power out on the freeway. Yeah I know that water and hard bumps can send me flying. IM having some things done to the fiero this week. Moving some of the weight around to equal things out. 4 core radiator from a 79 chevy truck moded and put in today, battery up front. Front Sway bar and rear sway bar. Will be beefing up the brakes and suspension,tires are on order(Have a friend that got me 2 sets of gatorbacks for well under $300.00, I actually use to install aftermarket traction control on vehicles so this is the next step. Just happen to have one here new in the box from an 1994 chevy camaro and it looks to be able to bolt up with minor mods. So again thanks for the info.
Also picked up another fiero this week and it will be getting the 2.8 liter replaced with the same engine for some gas mileage and daily driver.
Thanks JIM

Add your comment to this topic!