Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Much Appreciated help with restore of 86' Monte Carlo

Dynamic Sound
06-28-2007, 01:01 AM
Hello all,
I have a 86' monte carlo 305 V8 iIbought about a year back, havnt had the time to start work until now, I bought the car for $600, engine runs, great interior, body was almost flawless except the metal on the FR fender is warped, the other side has a small dent...otherwise great car.....

I'm 16 and really wanting to having it driveable (and looking good) by the end of the summer. *NOTE; I DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO GO ALL OUT...$150 IS ALOT OF MONEY FOR ME* Problem is the owner before me was troubled by the clearcoat coming off...so he decided to spray bomb the car with primer... all over windows/interior...everything, Ive gotten it to the point where its on jack stands and almost done sanding (most of it down to original paint) some spots are bare metal though.

Any chance anyone would know where to find DIRT and i mean DIRT CHEAP parts....mostly body, some interior (door panels/dash/etc)

Also, it failed for emissions.....any tips on getting that down some? And also tips on getting better gas mileage would be high appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Nick

znovak72
07-07-2007, 12:25 AM
i thought cars that old dont need to pass emissions, or is that just some states or countys or however it works? cuz over here my car doesnt need to pass emissions(i have the same exact car as you), lucky cuz it wouldnt

'97ventureowner
07-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Welcome to AF!
Some states are more strict with emission requirements. Dynamic Sound lives in NJ, and many states in that areas are more stringent because of many reasons, including population density, number of registered vehicles, air quality standards, large metropolitan areas.
There are many ways to get low cost parts for restoring your Monte. Good places to check are local salvage yards, flea markets at car shows, the local classified section of your newspaper, including any "swap sheet" or auto trader type auto publications(usually come out on newsstands every week.)eBay and Craigslist could be another good source, as is finding out if there is a local car enthusiast club in your area, perhaps one that has members who own Montes.
Is your "Check Engine Light" illuminated? If so check and see what codes are stored telling you what possibly is wrong. Check and make sure your vacuum lines are hooked up and routed properly.
For getting better gas mileage, that's easy. Make sure your engine is properly tuned including clean air and oil filters, routine oil changes,take unnecessary items out of car =less weight to haul around, accelerate smoothly, decelerate,(or brake gently), don't speed, keep tires properly inflated, and use the proper viscosity oil in your engine are a few of the things you can do to ensure getting better gas mileage.

Add your comment to this topic!