Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ball Joints

SteveCooke101
06-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I own a 1996 dodge ram 1500 and im having a few problems with it.. when im driving it feels like the front end is all over the place when i hit the smallest little bumps. ive been told the ball joints are toast. Now that i need to change them im going to do all four.. is this a big job? i know a fair bit about my vehicle and maintenance but im not a mechanic... is it worth it to do it myself and save a few hundred?

doug38
06-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I changed mine a while back. It was not to difficult, with a balljoint press at least. I found a site, pavementsucks.com, it was helpful also. It is a few hour job if not done it before, but well worth saving several hundred dollars. Good Luck.

doug38
06-30-2007, 08:49 AM
I also have had some other problems, first told it was balljoints, changed them and it didn't help any. Have since changed about everything you can except shocks which are less than 2 years old. I am still having noise (thumping) and terrible handling, have not had much luck with getting it fixed either.

SteveCooke101
07-03-2007, 08:30 PM
I appreciate all the help.. this site is awesome... i think i found the source of the clunk.. there is a heim joint on my track bar which is metal on metal.I can hear the clunk when i grab the bar and wiggle it around.. next project is the ball joints :banghead: it never ends:screwy:

HEMIDAZE
07-04-2007, 04:15 AM
Don't be too quick to condem the ball joints just because someone said so. Have them checked and get the real story.

Add your comment to this topic!