Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Heater Core?

MissTake
06-26-2007, 01:48 AM
The other day, I went to turn the heater on, turned the temp from cold to hot and turned the fan onto Defrost. Noticed smoke or steam coming out of the vents on top of the dash. The smoke/steam put a greasy film on the inside of the windshield, and it smells kind of sweet and faintly like chemicals. (could be anti-freeze?) There is now standing water on the passenger side floor, and the smoke/steam is still constantly coming out of the vents on top of the dash, even when the fan is in the Off position and the temp gage is on cold. It's worse when the temp is on hot, but still happens on cold. Could it just be a bad heater core? And I'm assuming that whatever is coming out of the vent is not going to be a good thing to be breathing in on a regular basis?

markkleb
06-26-2007, 03:47 PM
yes that definately sounds like a leaky heater core to me. The part shouldnt be too much but the labor is a pain. If I couldnt afford the cost I would connect the two hoses going in to the heater to each other bypassing the core till I can replace it.

Heater wont work but at least you wont have the leak which can become worse and cause overheating of the engine.

Add your comment to this topic!