Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS light behavior

jmagerl
06-24-2007, 10:11 PM
my 96 s10 has not had operating ABS for the last 5 years. I have been merrily driving around with the ABS light lit. Dealer wanted $1000 to replace valve block.

My question has to do with the ABS light and what happens when it burns out (5 yrs is a long time).

IS its function than transfered over to the brake warning light? IT seems that the ABS light has ceased lighting up and the brake light is now behaving as the ABS light used too. (is dark when car is first started but at 7mph the light comes on)(this is indicative of a failed self test the ABS unit does on the pump motor at 7mph)

Just want to confirm that this happens so I know I don't have another problem that may be of a more immediate nature.

MT-2500
06-24-2007, 10:26 PM
If ABS light on your ABS brakes has a problem and is not working..
Only way to test or check it is with a ABS capable scanner.
Get codes and post back codes.
MT

jmagerl
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Let me try again: My ABS is broken. I am not interested in fixing it. but after 5 years of the ABS light being lit, it has burned out. (it does not light up in the bulb check). But....now the brake light has lit up and it behaves identically to the way the ABS light used to behave. When I scan I get no error codes

My question is: Does the computer monitor the indicator lights and if one burns out, does it use another indicator to warn you of a malfunction?

I gave up trying to find anything to read the ABS codes. I bought a reader with extended codes and guess what...no ABS. SO I took it to AutoZone, They can't read em either. Borrowed a reader that my friend swore up and down he paid for the codes. sorry. Dealer wants $64 to read the codes.

MT-2500
06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I can not help without codes.
But no the PCM does not switch lights.
Usually the red brake light is for parking brake switch or a mechanical problem on brake system.
But if it waits to you are moving to come on I would look for wiring or ABS pcm problem.
Does the red and yellow come on for a bulb check when key is first turned on.

Add your comment to this topic!