Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil inside the air thortle rubber bellows

Lbert
06-24-2007, 11:36 AM
'96 Windstar 3.8L 124k miles

I have oil accumulating inside the air intake bellows going into the throttle body. It is so much that oil spilled through the other side to the air filter. Air filter got partial wet that the filter will need to be replaced.

I took out the PCV valve, shook it, and it seem to be in good order. MAF sensor, EGR, PCV valve, and PFPE sensor were all replaced no more than 14K miles ago. How do I get rid of the oil from accumulating?

Thank you in advance.

12Ounce
06-24-2007, 12:25 PM
The new air filter may fix the problem.

But if not, my question then would be: Does the engine backfire when you are slowing down?

Lbert
06-24-2007, 12:49 PM
No misfires, car idles okay.

12Ounce
06-24-2007, 03:58 PM
The feedback location point for the "direct" PCV path is just "inside" the throttle plate ... a location of high vacuum. Make sure that this is indeed where it is directly hooked to ... and not confused with other hoses that are connected to the air filter canister. Also make sure this connection point (throttle body) is not clogged-up. Make sure all hoses all unplugged and free of cracks.

For the short term, you may have to remove the air supply connection that attaches to the air canister.

12Ounce
06-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Oops, I just realized your model year's ventilation system may not be layed out like I described. Sorry if it caused confusion.

Lbert
06-25-2007, 08:40 AM
12Ounce, thank you for your response just the same.

wiswind
06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I have gotten some oil back like you describe on my '96.
A dirty air filter can certainly cause a higher vaccum, and possible more oil drawn in....although the PCV valve is supposed to take care of this.
A genuine Motorcraft PCV valve is recommended as some aftermarket units can permit too much flow.

I added a "catch can" to the line between the PCV valve and the throttle body.
I have found that I get a lot of liquid in the can in cold weather as there is more moisture then....and very little in warm weather.

Some brands of oil have higher evaportation rates than others.
I am using Redline 5w-20.
Redline has a very low evaporation rate, which may account for my getting very little in my catch can in warm weather.

I got to thinking that the oil may get back into the flex hose after the engine has been turned off. Oil vapors may condense and run back there at that time......it would seem more likely than oil running against the air flow when the engine is running.

Add your comment to this topic!