Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting Problems

broken_prop
06-24-2007, 09:12 AM
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 liter with starting problems. I crank it for a bit and no start.... take the key out and try again right a way and most of the time it fires right up. If I turn the key to the "on: position to engauge the fuel pump about 3 or 4 times the digital odomitor reads "P Done" and then when I crank it fires right up. What could the problem be. Just replaced the air filter and the pcv valve. Also put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it and have ran about 100 miles on "it". Please Help Me, I am stumped on this one.

Jerry

broken_prop
06-29-2007, 05:14 AM
Is there anyone out there that could help me out with this problem. It seems to be getting worse, and so is my frustration level.:banghead:

Jerry

snupytcb
06-29-2007, 05:18 AM
does this happen every time or just after sitting awile?

broken_prop
06-29-2007, 07:27 PM
It happens everytime hot cold sitting for 8 hrs or 2 min.

Thanks,
Jerry

67Mopar
06-30-2007, 05:46 PM
I had the same problem with an old Dodge Dynasty... turned out to be in the ignition circuit. Can't remember if it was the ignition switch itself or a relay... Either way, the problem was an electrical contact issue... When you turned the key the ignition circuit sent multiple signals... one of them activated the starter circuit, one activated the gage cluster, and another told the computer it was time to activate the ignition coil circuit. In my case, the contacts used to relay the signal to the computer were crapped up and not making good contact. Concequently, when you turned the key to start the car, the Starter would engage, but there was no spark from the coil to the distributor... at least nothing with enough power to ignite a spark plug. Sometimes you'd get a weak spark, just enough to make it cough, but most of the time you'd get no spark at all. Sometimes it would start right up... turn it off... nothing, dead as a post. Sometimes it would start and run like crap, no power whatsoever... turn it off, and it would start back up running great... and yes, the gages would act goofy as well... all from some dirty worn out contacts.
It's important to note that my problem started just like yours... put the key in... no start.... take it out and try it again... no problem. The problem got worse in a big hurry however, and soon became a real pain in the butt.

broken_prop
07-04-2007, 06:07 AM
runaround

OK, I just spent about an hour last night checking some things with a multimeter. All of the injectors are working fine as are the plug wires. The ignition coil leaves a shrugged shoulder with the Primary resistance reading between 1.5 to 2.2 ohms. The haynes manual states that the diamond should be between 0.97 to 1.18 ohms and the toyodenso between 0.95 to 1.2 ohms. The Secondary resistance was with in limits for both types. Not really sure what type of coil I have. Could a slightly high resistance on the Primary cause a starting problem.

Also I checked the Ignition switch (thankyou 67mopar). The continuity checked out fine on all but one pin, the start position pin 3 and ground, reading 0.8 to 1.2(continuity). my meter manual states that if there is continuity it should read 0.5. I am not that knowledgable when it comes to testing electical components, is this reading OK or is it bad enough to cause the problem.

Any help would be really appreciated so thankyou all.

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July.

Jerry

broken_prop
07-08-2007, 08:05 AM
:crying:

PLEASE...........Is There anyone out there that could help.

Jerry

67Mopar
07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Get yourself one of those little 12 volt circuit testers… you know, the one that looks like a screw driver with a light in it… or better still… one of the cheap in-line spark plug testers that has a light in it. With this you can check your wires going in, and leaving your coil. You should get a nice bright light. If the lamp is dim or not lit at all, then you have narrowed your problem considerably. Low voltage, and or Low Amperage, equals no spark, or weak spark.

Add your comment to this topic!