Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 Honda Accord

laloquera
06-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Hey crew
Doing triple digits here in North Cali. My A/C works fine, but when I put it on, my car overheats. I do have a small water leak. If I replace my radiator, will my car still over heat up when turn the A/C on. I just want keep having the same problem by changing out other parts. Feed back would be appreciated. Thanx
Laloquera.runaround runaround runaround

jeffcoslacker
06-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Do both radiator fans run with the A/C on?

If not, there's your problem...

laloquera
06-25-2007, 02:15 AM
Have not done that yet. What exactly am I checking for, by running my A/C with both fan on? Thanx.
Laloquera

jeffcoslacker
06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Whenever the A/C is on, both fans on the radiator should be on...if one is not working, they will heat up with it on...

One of the fans is to cool the radiator when the temp sensor says the engine coolant temp is nearing threshold, it will come on and go off as needed...the other is dedicated to the A/C, it provides additional airflow through the radiator and condensor. But both are commanded to stay on once the A/C is activated. If one doesn't work, the A/C will usually cool (possibly not as well as it should, though), but the engine's temp will creep up at lower speeds or when sitting in traffic. If neither ran, the A/C would not cool and the motor would overheat, so you at least have one running, sounds like.

My guess is you'll find one isn't running when the A/C is active.

Does it heat up all the time, or just in slow or stopped traffic?

Does it run a consistant temp without the A/C?

laloquera
06-26-2007, 02:29 AM
IC! I will check both fans out tomorrow. The answer to your Q, is no. It overheats only with the A/C and or when the water leak in the radiator has drained the radiator. That’s how I know to add some water, but I think the A/C overheating is a separate issue or is it combined? I will keep you posted.
Thanx again,
Laloquera :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

jeffcoslacker
06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Depends...if you ate just adding water, and the system is unpressurized due to a leak, boiling will occur at much lower temp that with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water under pressure...could be contributing...

jeffcoslacker
06-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Also when the water level drops to a certain point, the temp sensor for the fan no longer senses the water temp, and the primary fan won't turn on when needed...

Lotta things happen from a small leak...and to keep cycling that engine into overheat is asking for trouble...aluminum engines can't take that for long, end up with a blown head gasket or cracked head, THEN you are in trouble...makes the cost of that radiator seem like peanuts...

jeffcoslacker
06-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Anyway, back to my first point.

If you go out and start the car right now, turn the A/C on, and it's cooling, if both fans are not running as soon as you see the A/C compressor engaged, there is a problem, regardless of what else is happening.

If fan operation is normal, the radiator is full, and it still runs hot, you have another problem.

Add your comment to this topic!