Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DTC Codes Message Interpretation?

buickultra2000
06-23-2007, 03:52 PM
A few months ago I purchased my first PA, a 2000. I posted in this forum about being ripped off for an estimate on a broken power seat. I am most grateful for the excellent replies I received regarding the procedure and time it takes to remove and then reinstall the drivers seat.

I had brought the car in because part of the front switch was not working (up and down and tilt); forward and back was still working. The other two switches behind it were working fine.

When I picked up the car, NONE of the three switches worked anymore. They told me thet ran a diagnostic and I would have to go to a dealer to have the computer reset to make the seats work. They gave me a copy of the diagnostic output.

I have no idea as to what this actually means. The sheet says:

A Tech II or equivalent Scan tool must be used to retrieve Diagnostic Trouble Codes from the PCM memory. DTCs can no longer be retrieved at the data link connector. This also eliminates the PCM function of flashing Code 12.

I'm assuming that the data link connector is that 16 pin receptacle under the dashboard above the gas pedal.

What exactly does this mean? Has the data link connector been damaged so that it can no longer be used?

Also, are the power seats computer controlled, which could account for why all three switches no longer work after these morons experimented on the track?

All input would be most appreciated.

Thank you!!

buickultra2000
06-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Several months ago I had posted and received very helpful replies on how to and how long it takes to remove and reinstall the drivers seat. This was after I got ripped off on the estimate.

When I brought the car in, only the up/down and tilt functions on the front switch didn't work; backward and forward worked. Also, the other two switches (recline and lumbar) worked fine.

When I picked up the car, NONE of the three switches worked. They told me I would have to go to a dealer to have the computer reset. I just posted the details of that in another post a few minutes ago.

Before I left the repair place, they removed the front cover of the seat and hooked up a portable power supply and were able to move the seat without the switches. On Friday, I went to a dealer who said that was impossible since there is, according to him, power to the motor and the motor must be dead which explains why, according to him, none of the three switches work. His solution is to order a whole new track for mucho big bucks. When I asked him how many motors control the seat, he said there is only one.

Unfortunately, due to being disabled I can't even do something as simple as look under the seat to try to figure out what the external power supply was hooked to.

To resolve this mystery I have the following questions:

1. Is there only one motor for the seat or are there more motors?
2. Any thoughts on what the guy hooked the external power supply to under the front seat to make it function?
3. If the motor or motors were truly dead, is there any way an external power sorce could make the seats functions work directly (without the switches)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not that confident in the dealer after he told me it was impossible for the seats to function with an external power supply even though I witnessed it as I was sitting in the seat as it was being adjusted.

Thank you!!

Bassasasin
06-23-2007, 09:06 PM
What an ordeal....
My 2000 PAU seat has two motors for the tilt and lift.. a motor for the recline ... a motor for the forward back... as I remember.. been a month since a quick look.

My 2 motors for tilt/lift would run but some clutch slip something in the motor assembly would not make it/them move on the worm gears hence no up/down or tilt. I just cranked the seat down and unplugged those motors.

Each motor has a plug to them for +/- 12V depending on the direction as the polarity can be swapped to reverse each motor.

I am thinking the dealer isnt working on these seats just replacing them. If you have no power down there you have a power circuit problem. One would need to check for power during a switch attempt on the pertenant motor.

Hope this helps.

HotZ28
06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
BE COURTEOUS: AVOID DUPLICATE POSTS :nono:
Do not post the same discussion more than once on a discussion forum or on many forums. Duplicate discussions can be frustrating for other members, especially for those whose time and energy is limited. Weeding through the same discussion in multiple locations can be not only frustrating, but down right annoying. Duplicate discussions will be deleted. Reposting the same message repeatedly can be interpreted as SPAM and could result in the loss of your membership. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/106.gif
Your duplicate threads have been merged!

buickultra2000
06-24-2007, 01:36 PM
HotZ28,

My apologies for violating the rules. I felt they were two different subjects and that some people have DTC knowledge while others have power seat knowledge. However, since you are the moderator I respect your decision.

Thank you.

buickultra2000
06-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Bass,

Thank you for the information. I now know to be very wary of the dealer who insisted that all three switches are no longer working because the one and only motor in the seat(according to him), is not working.

BigC

HotZ28
06-24-2007, 06:00 PM
HotZ28,

My apologies for violating the rules. I felt they were two different subjects and that some people have DTC knowledge while others have power seat knowledge. However, since you are the moderator I respect your decision.

Thank you.
I have no idea as to what this actually means. The sheet says:

A Tech II or equivalent Scan tool must be used to retrieve Diagnostic Trouble Codes from the PCM memory. DTCs can no longer be retrieved at the data link connector. This also eliminates the PCM function of flashing Code 12.

I'm assuming that the data link connector is that 16 pin receptacle under the dashboard above the gas pedal.

What exactly does this mean? Has the data link connector been damaged so that it can no longer be used?

Don’t worry about the rule infraction, most of us, and especially “Newbie’s” tend to overlook the fine print.

What this “print-out” means is, that the shop that tried to scan your PCM did not have the proper scanner for an OBDII! Be weary of those people! Almost all scanners nowadays, are OBDII compatible! Take it somewhere else to see if the codes can be displayed. I do not think you would have an ALDL issue; that would be very rare! :screwy:

buickultra2000
06-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Hotz28,

Thank you very much for interpreting the DTC message. First chance I get I will take it somewhere else.

Add your comment to this topic!