Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dealership repairs/mechanics

HoustonHelix
06-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Do dealerships have "special" diagnostic equipment and special manuals that we consumers don't have access to?

I basically am ahaving amisfire on one cylinder that I can't resolve - I already got new (and tested) plugs, wires, injectors and can't seem to resolve the problem. Can't seem to figure out a vacuum leak if ever there is one.

I have since given up and plan on taking my car to the dealership and pay whatever their hourly rate is and fix the problem once and for all.

Do dealerships have access to certain resources that help them diagnose and pinpoint problems, or do they resolve by elimination like we do?

RON

UncleBob
06-23-2007, 05:38 PM
yes they do.

CraigFL
06-24-2007, 07:44 AM
My understanding is special diagnostic information is provided by www.alldata.com

UncleBob
06-24-2007, 11:03 AM
alldata is *something*....its very pathetic compared to what the dealer has.

bobss396
07-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Independent shops also subscribe to "online" help programs. Any good disgnostic shop will have what the dealer has. They all buy their tools and scanners from the same sources.

The trick is to find a good shop where they have certified mechanics and keep up with the new technology. There are independent training programs that offer seminars in most big cities, I've been to a few when I was fixing cars for a living.

In my opinion, I get better service from my local shop. He's not the cheapest guy in the world, but the problems are diagnosed properly and the car is fixed the first time. How many times do you hear "I have to take it BACK to the dealer again?".

Bob

videobruce
07-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Notice the term "dealer", not independent shop. :wink:

Add your comment to this topic!