Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ball joint replacement help!

ajkolar
06-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I started the project of replacing my upper and lower ball joints, following along with the post under the "How to section" of the forum (BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT HOW TO (w/ pix)) and have everything taken apart to the hub assembly. I am know try to "tap" the drive shaft out of the hub assembly. The threaded drive shaft will not budge a milimeter. I started with a punch as suggested, then went to the 2" x 4", and after beating the 2" x 4" to splinters (literally) the drive shaft has not moved at all. Is there anything I could have missed that would not allow the drive shaft to slide in (yes hub nut and washer are off)? I have removed everything (including the ABS sensor and the 3 hub assembly bolts). how far should it slide back??? Until the threads have gone completely through the hub assembly? And even after removing the hub assembly bolts, that assembly does not seem to move at all either. I though even though the drive shaft was still in place I might see a little movement. PLEASE HELP!!

Can the ball joints be replaced with out removing the hub assembly, or is it pretty much impossible? Thanks!

Booch
06-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Soak it down with liquid wrench, then put the nut back on the driveshaft so that it sticks past the threaded portion by a quarter inch or so.

Get a BFH (Big F*cking Hammer) and beat the crap out of it until it breaks loose.

You don't have to knock the driveshaft all the way out of the hub assembly; just get it loose so you can then remove the hub. Once the hub is off, you have room to move the driveshaft around and get at the ball joints.

Be sure not to pull on the driveshaft; you don't want to have the CV joint come apart in the boot because you have overextended it!

Add your comment to this topic!