Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TIming Belt hange on '95 Outback

Anthenium
06-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Hey, anyone here every have the Pleasure of changing the timing belts on a EJ22? I have a '95 Outback, and the person I got it from doesn't recall ever having that done. So at 150K miles, I'm going to assume it needs it. It's $600 to have my Friendly Subaru dealer do it, so I was considering doing the chore myself.

Any advice?

Fat Tony

luckybrand4u
11-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Tony hey Tim here . I just put a new timing belt on my 96 impreza outback 2.2 . If you have never attempted this before on any car it can be a long process. The motor in your car in non interferance so thats a plus being if you put it on wrong or rotate the camshafts wile changing it , you wont bend any valves. Tony If you do this get a haynes book for that year subaru. Advance & Auto Zone has a subaru book usually in stock. It may not be specific to your subaru but it will specify your engine specificly and tell you this procedure. Just get the book specifc in the year of you car. Also being you have this many miles do more than the belt. Trust me Its easyer to replace all idlers and pullys, tensioners, all 3 front seals,waterpump,The oil pump o-ring seal and mounting gasket. The front crank bolt is usually tight and you will need to remove the rubber grommet in the rear of the motor that is just under and slight left to trottle body looking at motor. Use a strong thick srewdriver and wedge it in the groves on the fly wheel, be carefull of the movement of this wile losening or tightning main pully bolt. Also before you remove the existing timing belt losen the cam sproket bolts first to get these off for the seals bend them. The book is really specific and detailed but they dont tell you the secret of getting the crank pully and sprokets off. They say use a subaru specific tool.. BSS. The new timing belts usually have marks on them to line up during install. If Subaru is only charging you 600.00 ask what that includes and if so the amount of items they actually plan on replacing. If you have a local trusted honest shop who will let you buy your own parts cheaper at the auto store and install them for you I would say with labor this probably would come out cheaper than a dealer. My local dealer here in Tampa is really great and charge very little so check out the odds first. Take care Tim

Add your comment to this topic!