Page updated on 07-21-2018

99 Bravada: Where is the transfer case located?

06-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Hello, I am new to the boards, and I have read quite a bit on here and I am SOOOO glad I found all of you "experts" :)

I just purchased a '99 bravada, and I am experiencing that 'shudder' when making tight turns.

So I am going to drain/fill the transfer case fluid, but where is the transfer case located? I would like to do this myself (with the help of my brother). Does anyone have a link to any diagrams? I tried to google any images, but I haven't had much success. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I just noticed that my gas gauge bounces everywhere. When I am idling, sometimes it will say "low fuel, and go down to zero" then when I am driving it seems pretty accurate until I hit about 1/4 tank. :( Do I need to drop the tank to look for the sensor? UGH!!!


Blue Bowtie
06-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Welcome Aboard!

When draining the fluid, make sure you use the later version "Auto-Trak II" oil from GM (part no. 12378508) You will need slightly more than two liters for the NV/NPG136 transfer case, so you get to purchase three of them. I have found no other place offering that same oil, but to solve the problem, even the dealer price is reasonable. Make sure you have a tapered spout which fits the plastic bottle (the type of spout found on gear oil bottles) and a length of hose to attach to the spout to enable clean filling of the case.

You might want to have a new drain plug on hand, in case the original is distorted or damaged upon removal. Make sure you follow the directions for torque and sealant on the drain and fill plugs. As I recall, no sealer is supposed to be used to prevent case corrosion.

The case is mounted to the rear of the transmission. The drain and fill plugs are on the rear face of the case.

06-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the pic! I'm sure I can find it now. You mentioned getting new plugs. Will any auto supply store carry the plugs?


Add your comment to this topic!