posi traction

hiper4g63
06-22-2007, 02:45 AM
how can i make my 2006 silverado 5.3 positive differential

silicon212
06-22-2007, 02:57 AM
You mean limited slip?

You would have to replace the open differential carrier with a limited slip diff carrier and then have it professionally set up.

HOWEVER, if you look at the option list in the glovebox, and you see the code G80, you already have limited slip (Positraction).

dlstewart01
06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
You mean limited slip?

You would have to replace the open differential carrier with a limited slip diff carrier and then have it professionally set up.

HOWEVER, if you look at the option list in the glovebox, and you see the code G80, you already have limited slip (Positraction).

G80 is for an Eaton locking differential. It locks (not slips) when one wheel spins faster than the other under 20 miles per hour. The rest of the time it functions as an oppen diff. The RPO code for positraction for your truck is G86.

Thanks and have a great day,

Don

SLJ2137694
06-22-2007, 04:43 PM
My 2005 Crew Cab has the Locking Rear Differential and it is option G80 on the Service Parts ID Label in the glove box.

BlenderWizard
06-22-2007, 07:38 PM
G80 is for an Eaton locking differential. It locks (not slips) when one wheel spins faster than the other under 20 miles per hour. The rest of the time it functions as an oppen diff. The RPO code for positraction for your truck is G86.

Don

Yeah, it's g80, even on the 07's

bigbadram51
06-22-2007, 09:10 PM
G80 locker is the weak point in the GM 10 bolt. If you ever decide on upgrading to larger heavier tires, well worth the money to replace that carrier with something better (with big tires you'll want to regear anyway... The G80 is been know to blow out even using stock wheels and tires. Im not saying its going to happen with yours but you never know.

hiper4g63
06-22-2007, 11:52 PM
G80 locker is the weak point in the GM 10 bolt. If you ever decide on upgrading to larger heavier tires, well worth the money to replace that carrier with something better (with big tires you'll want to regear anyway... The G80 is been know to blow out even using stock wheels and tires. Im not saying its going to happen with yours but you never know.

WELL YEAH I HAVE 24S ON IT

hiper4g63
06-23-2007, 12:07 AM

Don

SO WHERE CAN I MAKE IT SLIP DIFFE I CHECKED THE GLOVE BOX AND IT DOES HAVE G80

mayito
06-24-2007, 12:28 AM
SO WHERE CAN I MAKE IT SLIP DIFFE I CHECKED THE GLOVE BOX AND IT DOES HAVE G80

Then you have a posi already. The g80 is the posi from gm.

dlstewart01
06-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Then you have a posi already. The g80 is the posi from gm.

The G80 is NOT a posi. It is a gov lock differential made by Eaton for GM. The two do not function the same.

The G80 locks both wheels together when one wheel spins more than 100 rpm faster than the other. This happens below 20 miles per hour. It un locks when it reaches 20 to 25 miles per hour. The rest of the time it functions as an OPEN differentian. Completly different from a possi unit.

Have a great day,

Don

mayito
06-24-2007, 11:17 AM
If it was a locker, wouldn't it be locked all the time no matter speed? The one from gm is a limited slip differental. I called it a posi because both tires spin up to a certain speed not only one.

BlenderWizard
06-24-2007, 11:34 AM
If it was a locker, wouldn't it be locked all the time no matter speed? The one from gm is a limited slip differental. I called it a posi because both tires spin up to a certain speed not only one.

Alright, enough of this!

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Difference-Between-Limited-Slip-Posi.htm

That's it; there's no more room for argument.

dlstewart01
06-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Alright, enough of this!

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Difference-Between-Limited-Slip-Posi.htm

That's it; there's no more room for argument.

Actually the facts are: and then I'm out of here.

A positraction transfers torque to the wheel with less traction. It has clutches to let one wheel slip going around curves. It works all the time.

A locking diff actually locks the wheels together. Giving equal traction. It would not work too well going around curves so it unlocks.

Jack up the rear of a truck with posi and spin the rear wheels. They both will spin in the same direction.

An open diff the wheels will spin in the the oppisit direction.

A g80 will spin in the oppisite direction, Why, it is not locked and functioning as an open diff.

Check out the Eaton site, they sell both posi and lockers, not the same. Also check out GM G80 or GM guv lock on the internet. You will learn a lot.

Am I an expert, heck no, but I do have 40 years restoring autos and motercycles. But I still look in the shop manual when starting a job.

I really don't care what people on the internet think, I just hate to se automotive missinformation spread

This subject is closed for me,

Don

silicon212
06-24-2007, 01:02 PM
"Jack up the rear of a truck with posi and spin the rear wheels. They both will spin in the same direction."

Not if the transmission is in gear (manual) or park (automatic)! With that driveshaft stopped, a posi will rotate the wheels in opposite directions like any other open diff. Also, this is an unreliable way to determine if a vehicle has a standard clutch or cone posi - myth busted!

My Caprice has an open diff, yet both wheels will spin in the same direction if I have the trans in neutral.

BlenderWizard
06-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Actually the facts are: and then I'm out of here.

A positraction transfers torque to the wheel with less traction. It has clutches to let one wheel slip going around curves. It works all the time.

A locking diff actually locks the wheels together. Giving equal traction. It would not work too well going around curves so it unlocks.

Jack up the rear of a truck with posi and spin the rear wheels. They both will spin in the same direction.

An open diff the wheels will spin in the the oppisit direction.

A g80 will spin in the oppisite direction, Why, it is not locked and functioning as an open diff.

Check out the Eaton site, they sell both posi and lockers, not the same. Also check out GM G80 or GM guv lock on the internet. You will learn a lot.

Am I an expert, heck no, but I do have 40 years restoring autos and motercycles. But I still look in the shop manual when starting a job.

I really don't care what people on the internet think, I just hate to se automotive missinformation spread

This subject is closed for me,

Don

Then why keep it going? Frankly, i would trust a bunch of offroading experts more than I trust you, whose credentials I do not know.

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!