2001 ZX2 brakes...

osurlosers
06-22-2007, 01:26 AM
I have a 2001 ZX2...and it has ABS. I have a few questions concerning the brake system on the ZX2:

1) According to a Chilton's guide that I have (which covers 98-99 ZX2's), I need a special code scanner or something, since my car does have ABS, in order to bleed the brakes. I assume that the 2001 ZX2 is mechanically the same as far as brakes/ABS goes. What kind of code scanner and how do I use it? I didn't see any specific instructions on bleeding the brakes while using the code scanner, so I'm a little confused by that.

2) Would I even need to bleed my brakes in order to change the pads on the front discs and the rear drums?

3) Occassionally, the ABS dash light comes on...and the ABS doesn't work while it's on. It is very sporadic and doesn't happen too terribly often. Usually I can turn the car off and back on and the light will stay off. What could cause this? Is there a sensor that could be messing up? Or maybe a short somewhere?

4) There is occassionally a light clicking noise that seems to come from the front passenger-side tire. It almost sounds like when you were a kid and put a card near the back tire so that it would hit the spokes as it went around. The noise generally happens around 20-40mph...not when going slower though. It might occur when going highway speeds, but it's impossible to hear over the road/wind noise if it is occuring. At 20-40mph, I can hear it when driving straight. I don't notice it when turning though. My dad thinks it might be the CV joint, but I was hoping it could be bearings because that sounds much cheaper. haha Any ideas?

Thank you for any help! Any is better than none, so don't feel that you have to answer all 4 questions. :)

GREENBLOOD
07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
I have a 2001 ZX2...and it has ABS. I have a few questions concerning the brake system on the ZX2:

1) According to a Chilton's guide that I have (which covers 98-99 ZX2's), I need a special code scanner or something, since my car does have ABS, in order to bleed the brakes. I assume that the 2001 ZX2 is mechanically the same as far as brakes/ABS goes. What kind of code scanner and how do I use it? I didn't see any specific instructions on bleeding the brakes while using the code scanner, so I'm a little confused by that.

2) Would I even need to bleed my brakes in order to change the pads on the front discs and the rear drums?

3) Occassionally, the ABS dash light comes on...and the ABS doesn't work while it's on. It is very sporadic and doesn't happen too terribly often. Usually I can turn the car off and back on and the light will stay off. What could cause this? Is there a sensor that could be messing up? Or maybe a short somewhere?

4) There is occassionally a light clicking noise that seems to come from the front passenger-side tire. It almost sounds like when you were a kid and put a card near the back tire so that it would hit the spokes as it went around. The noise generally happens around 20-40mph...not when going slower though. It might occur when going highway speeds, but it's impossible to hear over the road/wind noise if it is occuring. At 20-40mph, I can hear it when driving straight. I don't notice it when turning though. My dad thinks it might be the CV joint, but I was hoping it could be bearings because that sounds much cheaper. haha Any ideas?

Thank you for any help! Any is better than none, so don't feel that you have to answer all 4 questions. :) Yes you need to bleed them, you have to push in the brake piston to install new pads. My 01 ZX2 doesnt have ABS, so im not sure of the code scenerio. The clicking could be CV joint, is the boot closest to the hub ripped/leaking grease? It should be clicking worse when cornering if its a CV joint, not going strait.

Add your comment to this topic!