Starter Keeps Going Out!!!

Babycakes82
06-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I have a 95 Chevy S-10 5-Speed, my 3rd starter in the past 3 months just went out. I can't even roll start it. Does anyone know what would be causing brand new starters to keep going out like that? They don't even last 30 days.

I'm begging for help!!!!

Thanks,

*Babycakes*

BLAZERBOY69
06-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I have a 95 Chevy S-10 5-Speed, my 3rd starter in the past 3 months just went out. I can't even roll start it. Does anyone know what would be causing brand new starters to keep going out like that? They don't even last 30 days.

I'm begging for help!!!!

Thanks,

*Babycakes*

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 87 S10, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE A LITTLE FURTHER BACK. THE FLYWHEEL WAS CRACKING BECAUSE THE DRIVE SHAFT WAS BENT, CAUSING IT TO WOBBLE. YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE YOUR TRANS CHECKED OUT, AND AT THE LEAST DON'T BUY A CHEAPO STARTER.

Babycakes82
06-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 87 S10, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE A LITTLE FURTHER BACK. THE FLYWHEEL WAS CRACKING BECAUSE THE DRIVE SHAFT WAS BENT, CAUSING IT TO WOBBLE. YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE YOUR TRANS CHECKED OUT, AND AT THE LEAST DON'T BUY A CHEAPO STARTER.

Were you able to fix it and if so what needed to be done? Sorry but I'm a chick and clueless when it comes to this kinda stuff.

Thanks,

*Babycakes*

MT-2500
06-22-2007, 09:53 AM
It would be a good idea to have a good repair shop check it out and find out what part of the starter is quiting or bad.
Most starters are rebuilt.
Was yours a cheap rebuilt or a new starter?
Many things besides a starter can make a starter quit.
Have it checked out good by a good repair shop
MT

Babycakes82
06-22-2007, 10:06 AM
All 3 starters where brand new, paid a $100 for each one. Something is causing the starters to burn up.

BLAZERBOY69
06-22-2007, 02:16 PM
All 3 starters where brand new, paid a $100 for each one. Something is causing the starters to burn up.
WHO INSTALLED THEM? A BUDDY OR A REPAIR SHOP?

EITHER WAY, MAKE SURE THAT WHEN THEY ARE INSTALLING THE WIRES ONTO THE STARTER SOLENOID, THAT THE LARGER WIRE IS STICKING OUT, AND NOT INTO THE CENTER OF THE SOLENOID. IF THEY INSTALLED IT WITH THE WIRE IN THE CENTER OF THE SOLENOID, IT IS REAL EASY TO GET A CROSS SPARK, SHORTING OUT THE SOLENOID, AND KILLING YOU STARTER. MOST TIMES THE WIRES HAVE A SPECIAL END THAT ONLY ALLOWS IT TO SIT ONE WAY, BUT SOMETIMES IT COMES OFF THE WIRE AND THEY REPLACE IT WITH WHATEVER THEY HAVE LYIN AROUND.

ALSO, THE WAY THAT I FIXED MINE WAS I REPLACED THE DRIVE SHAFT, TOOK THE TRANNY OFF THE CAR AND REPLACED THE FLYWHEEL/RING GEAR, THEN PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER. ALL IN ALL IT TOOK ME A FULL TWO DAYS TO DO, INCLUDING FINDING THE PARTS I NEEDED.

Babycakes82
06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
My Dad is the one who is changing them. I will have him check those wires this weekend and see if that's the problem. I would rather it be a wire issue than the drive shaft.

Thank You,

*Babycakes*

bigd7315
06-26-2007, 08:18 PM
a bad battery cable will also burn up a starter so for about 8 bucks i would replace the cable

Add your comment to this topic!