Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DieHard Tacoma Needs help

GunnySarge
06-21-2007, 05:48 AM
Hello, all!

I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma, have owned it since it's birth, and she is just now exhibiting signs of a slight problem...this topic has been covered well on the forum, as I have searched for the answer before posting, and have followed the posted procedures, but alas, she still is ailing...

About two months ago, while driving to work, the check engine light popped on, which caused a slight concern from me, because I have always practiced good maintenance and care of my truck...I had O2 sensor problems with a previous company vehicle, and I suspected might to be the problem, as she was running fine, and all looked to be well...I reset the light, and all was well again, for about three weeks...then the light popped on again, and the truck began to run a bit rough on accelleration...O2 sensor, right? I went to my local AutoZone (as I try not to pad the well padded pockets of my local Toyota dealer if at all possible :wink: ) and had the codes read there.

O2 sensor, bank 1, was what the man said...I nodded as to accept the diagnosis, and proceeded to purchase a Bosch replacement sensor...had to buy the replacement nuts from the dealer (at $4.00 each...jeez!), and I then proceeded to change out the sensor.

All was well again, until 1 week to the date of change-out...the light pops on again...grrrrrr...off to the Zone I go, receipt in hand...I didn't let on to the employee that I had already changed the sensor out a week prior, as i wanted his honest reaction at re-reading the codes...yep, O2 sensor bank 1 again...I explained that I had just changed the part 1 week ago, showed him the receipt, and to which he said, "no prob, we'll exchange the part...might be a bad one"...

Well, I changed the part out 5 days ago today, and on the way to the office this morning, yep, you guessed it...on comes the check engine light, and a rough run on accelleration again...is it possible that TWO sensors could be bad (which I do have my doubts, but hey, anything can happen...) or should I break down and go to the dealer for a more complete analysis?

~Mark

TcmaBoy
06-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Have you checked the wires?

truckpoor
06-22-2007, 06:08 PM
What is the code number? I had a P0171??? on my 2000 Tacoma. Don't remember if that was the right code or not, but it had something to do with the oxygen sensor, but I remember it was bank 2. Wound up being my MAF. There are ways to check your MAF with a volt meter. If you want more, let me know and I'll check my service manuals at home.

GunnySarge
06-27-2007, 04:05 AM
Have you checked the wires?
Yessir...wires are fine...

GunnySarge
06-27-2007, 04:15 AM
What is the code number? I had a P0171??? on my 2000 Tacoma. Don't remember if that was the right code or not, but it had something to do with the oxygen sensor, but I remember it was bank 2. Wound up being my MAF. There are ways to check your MAF with a volt meter. If you want more, let me know and I'll check my service manuals at home.

Not sure of the code #...the attendant showed me the reader screen, which stated "Bank 1 02 sensor"...Talk to me, bro...

GunnySarge
06-27-2007, 04:26 AM
6/27/07~Update

After I made my initial post on this thread, I again returned tothe same Autozone, and again had yet another attendant code read my truck...jeez, bank 1 o2 sensor...No $#@^...well, explained the situation to this kid, and luckily, the owner was there and he overheard the conversation...turns out, according to the owner, is that Bosch O2 sensors are too short on the probe end, and will not reach far enough into the pipe, hence, the exhaust deposits will not burn off, and the sensor clogs, which then will send a signal to the idiot lights...sounded reasonable to me...

He then said that you must use a "Denson" brand sensor, which is identical to the design of the OEM part...I had the original with me, which we compared to the Denson sensor, and yep, sure looked the same to me, and yep, the Bosch sensor is way short...SO, he gave me the Denson for the same price as the Bosch was (Denson was 35.00 more) for my troubles, and away I went to happily change out the sensor AGAIN...after changeout, life was good again for four days, and then, GUESS WHAT?
"Check Engine"...nearly one month and three sensors past, still got the problem.

I'm really trying to stay away from the local dealer, but I'm afraid my patience is going to override in this situation...:banghead:

TcmaBoy
06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I would have the dealer run the diagnostic on it.

truckpoor
07-24-2007, 07:18 PM
You still having problems with this? Sorry taking so long to get back to you. I've been gone for a while. I can check my manuals when I get home if you are.

truckpoor
07-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Crap, I forgot. I'm in the middle of a little remodel and have buried my books. May be able to get to them this weekend if you're still having problems.

Add your comment to this topic!