Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dash lights and heater control light weird problem?

Android_Gimpy6456
06-20-2007, 08:31 PM
My 95 apv has no dash lights at night. The lights on the heater control when you turn the headlights on also go off. BUT when the headlights are off the lights on the heater control come on. This is really weird, I've even pulled th fuses and there all good. ANY IDEAS???

TexasGuy
07-10-2007, 12:24 AM
My 95 apv has no dash lights at night. The lights on the heater control when you turn the headlights on also go off. BUT when the headlights are off the lights on the heater control come on. This is really weird, I've even pulled th fuses and there all good. ANY IDEAS???

Could be the switch at that button that you use to turn headlights. There might be also a second mechanical switch that sends power to the dash and such when headlights switch is pressed on. Thus, I theorize, one switch for headlights still works, but the near by switch (that is also affected by the movement of the same "headlight turn on" button) is broken and probably shorts. I think it shorts because the climate control is lighted all the time, if I remember correctly, it might dim when headlights are on... If it would short then the climate lights would go off completely...

To take off the cover above your dash you need to unscrew 1 screw under the headlights buttons, 1 under the rear wipers switch and two screws that are on the other side of the cover near windshield. Then from inside the cover you would be able to unscrew the switches. It could have gone messed up after many cycles.

Just my few cents.

TerryK1
08-20-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm having a very similar problem, but I have no dash lights at any time, lights on or off. They went out one night and when they did I heard a click like a relay opening. Is there a relay that controls only the dash lights?

Android_Gimpy6456
09-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Heres an odd one for you. The culprit was a fuse EMAGINE THAT...BUT the fuse didn't fry in the middle it roasted the plastic and fried it at the tip. SUCKED BADLY some jacha** had used a 3amp fuse for a 15amp circuit.

Add your comment to this topic!