Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dodge Neon Squeeks Like a *****

DavidKim91
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
as title says.. my sisters dodge neon squeeks ALOT when she comes to a stop.. i just started working on cars so i dont know much, but as far as i know it coming from the front brakes. can anyone tell me whats wrong and what i should do?

vgames33
06-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Its probably either brake dust build up (usually makes more of a grinding noise) or the wear indicator on the pads. The only way to know is to take the wheel off and look. If the pads are thin, then change them. If not, you might be able to get away with cleaning the rotors.

INF3RN0666
06-21-2007, 06:46 PM
90% of the time it's poor quality brakes that were installed last. The wear indicator has a distinct sound and it's not really squeaking. It sounds like metal scratching metal. Break dust behind the pad usually makes a high pitch squeal like that one you're describing. If the brakes still have life on them, take them out, clean them up and behind them. Put them back in and make sure to buy a better quality next time. I usually get Wagner, affordable and they never squeak.

DavidKim91
06-21-2007, 07:09 PM
if its poor quality breaks wouldnt the rear ones squeeks as well??
ill try cleaning them up and seeing if its better..
and if it comes tot he point were i have to buy them.. meh.. its my sisters car so she'll be the one buying em.. hehe
thanks for the advice

vgames33
06-21-2007, 11:36 PM
The rear brakes don't do very much work on their own. Even if the brakes are of poor quality, they probably aren't squeeking because less force is being applied to them.

Add your comment to this topic!