Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya

Integra14
10-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Im looking for a nice tamiya model to work on for a while... i would say im an intermediate builder. Ive built the Tamiya Nsx, Revel Z8, and 2 Revell ITR's.... can anyone give some suggestions or comments?

tonioseven
10-30-2002, 02:38 PM
Get an R32 Skyline GT-R! It comes with an engine and is a great to work on!!!:cool: or the 300zx turbo, or the Toyota Supra! they all have engines and are great!! :cool:

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-30-2002, 02:42 PM
If you like exotic cars with exotic engines go for the Tamiya 360 Modena Spider. It's a fantastic kit, and it's basically hassle-free when it comes to building it. It's amazing how easy the engine/suspension parts are to paint detail and then assemble. The most difficult aspect of this kit was to mask/airbrush the aluminum portions of the door panels. I had trouble w/the 360 Modena coupe, the glass didn't fit well at all, though I think they may have fixed that problem. The Spider was a perfect "shake the box and it's assembled" Tamiya kit.

You really can't go wrong with any of their kits. If you choose one w/o an engine, you pretty much should go with whatever car you like the most.

Jay!
10-30-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Integra14
Im looking for a nice tamiya model to work on for a while... What car would you like to have when you're done? ;)

kicker1_solo
10-30-2002, 04:34 PM
go with the ferrari :)

S Brake
10-30-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by kicker1_solo
go with the ferrari :) Thats the first intelligent thing I've heard you say yet!

kicker1_solo
10-30-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by snowboarder
Thats the first intelligent thing I've heard you say yet! I'm sure by "yet" you mean "in the last 5 minutes" :D

primera man
10-30-2002, 06:05 PM
Any Tamiya kit as long as it hasn't got a heap of decals to apply or two different body colours will be good.
A 32-33-34 Skyline or WRX are always a good kit to begin with

hirofkd
10-30-2002, 06:23 PM
The Enzo, due in December
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products/24260enzo_pre/index.htm

twoninety
10-31-2002, 12:56 AM
The Ferrari 360 Spider is a good choice. I have the Modena 360 (yellow) and it was a pleasure to put together.

Race cars are nice too but there are too many decals. I skimp whenever I can. :)

Do let us know which model u decide...

And post some pics too.

BWheel
10-31-2002, 03:25 AM
More info on Tamiya's site, in English this time:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/show0210/broadcast1.htm

DEFINITELY a model I will be getting to add to the collection. The picture looks like a mock-up though, as the windows look very dark. Be interesting to see final pictures.

I'd be in a dilemma to do this in standard Ferrari Red, or in the Black that it appeared at the British Motor Show. Oh, heck, I'll just get 2....

BTW - New to the forums, I do all sorts of models. I've got a passion for Humvees, but do race cars, road cars, anything. I'll build a gallery of some of my cars sometime soon. Haven't been building much lately, but have a huge 'warehouse' I need to get through soon.

My next project coming up is a Porsche GT3. I'll probably do a straight build on it though. Also got some Subaru's, a few Ferraris, some bikes, and others in the queue, and that's just cars!

primera man
10-31-2002, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by BWheel
More info on Tamiya's site, in English this time:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/show0210/broadcast1.htm

DEFINITELY a model I will be getting to add to the collection. The picture looks like a mock-up though, as the windows look very dark. Be interesting to see final pictures.

I'd be in a dilemma to do this in standard Ferrari Red, or in the Black that it appeared at the British Motor Show. Oh, heck, I'll just get 2....

BTW - New to the forums, I do all sorts of models. I've got a passion for Humvees, but do race cars, road cars, anything. I'll build a gallery of some of my cars sometime soon. Haven't been building much lately, but have a huge 'warehouse' I need to get through soon.

My next project coming up is a Porsche GT3. I'll probably do a straight build on it though. Also got some Subaru's, a few Ferraris, some bikes, and others in the queue, and that's just cars!

You may want to look here ;)
http://www.gifs.net/animate/welcome.gif
Have a look in the FAQ and the GALLERY at the top of the page to help you out with any questions you may have .
Have fun and welcome along.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/scalemodeling/ ....GALLERY
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t63623.html.....FAQ

BWheel
10-31-2002, 06:19 AM
Yeah, been through most of the FAQ, and looked at the gallery. Some real nice models you guys have made, and some interesting modifications too.

I used to work in a hobby shop in South Africa for a couple of years (friends place I helped him out at weekends and stuff), and my payment was 'credit' so I ended up with a huge catalogue of models. Of course, I was always ahead of my credit, 'cause this is just an addiction at the end of the day... but it's fun.

I've not been building in a while, and moving up from South Africa to the UK I lost a few models. Just getting back into building, so we'll see how it goes. Car kits, I normally do straight from the box, but will what happens. When it comes to Armor and Fantasy stuff, I normally fiddle around a lot more.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, should be fun!

integra818
11-01-2002, 01:07 AM
kicker1_solo, i got the itr lip you sent me, thanks! You mentioned in you itr progress thrad that your car is gonna take a while, well so is mine! when Im done it's gonna look like a perfect clean car, while your is gonna look like it was modified my aliens:alien: j/k:D

Toksin
11-01-2002, 03:03 AM
I don't remember any real hobby shops when I lived in South Africa, I always got my kits from department stores...I had about 18 aircraft but I only brought a few along to New Zealand...only started building cars here...

Add your comment to this topic!