Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 AC problem

sappertech
06-19-2007, 08:27 PM
The AC in my blazer doen't even get remotley cool so I decied to recharge it. I bought the kit and followed the directions. I noticed the compressor was not coming on with he AC set to MAX. So as per the directions I began adding one can of refrigerant until the pressure guage was in the green. The compressor then started to come on for a few seconds at a time and then shut off. I also notice some green fluid around the compressor and it wasn't anti freeze. I am thinking that I need to replace the compressor but wanted to get other opinions first. So what do you all think?

MT-2500
06-20-2007, 09:18 AM
The green stuff leaking from the compressor may be leak dye or ac oil or even the stop leak it the one can one gauge death kits from Wal Mart.
Is it leaking from front/back or middle at compressor?

If you have added the stop leak stuff crap.
You will need to flush the system if it has not stopped up everything beyond repair and replace dryer and expansion tube and compressor.

Here is what you will need to do the job right and safe.
http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=DIY

Beware of.
Wal Mart DEATH KITS

You cannot properly and safely recharge an air condition system with them.

The one side stop and go gauge does not tell you what your system is doing or is over charged or undercharged.
A overcharged or malfunction air condition system can reach over 500 lbs of pressure.
Enough to blow up that can or system and freeze you at first and the burn you or blind you and if any propane /butane in there blow and light you up.

The stop leak crap and who knows what kind of oil in the kits there will stop your system for sure.
Just like pouring super glue in it.
And some kits even contain freon with a butane mixer.
Good for a big blast.

If you are going to do it do it right and safe.
Here is what you need to start with.
http://www.ackits.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AMA&Product_Code=66773

In the older days you could just throw in a can and go.
But over the years just adding freon is getting harder to do.
Newer systems have to have the correct amount of freon down to the ounces.
Most will need pumped down and vacuumed down and the right and amount of oil and a set amount freon charge installed to get the air to cool right and the system to last.
If an air condition is low there is usually a leak that needs fixed and also a lose of lubricating oil from system.
Also air and moisture enters a low system
If you are going to try to do it get the proper type air condition gauge set with the low and high side gauges.
Hook up the gauges and get a reading with compressor running at idle and at 2000 rpm on the high and low side.
Post back pressure reading and we can help you.
MT

calemus
06-08-2009, 02:55 PM
i got the kit with red blue and yellow hoses 2 dials and the what not

now,
i need the specific #'s i need to see,
low side# high and low alteration,,,
also if you can give me the high side #'s, high and low alteration,,not needed, but would be apreciated

MT-2500
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
i got the kit with red blue and yellow hoses 2 dials and the what not

now,
i need the specific #'s i need to see,
low side# high and low alteration,,,
also if you can give me the high side #'s, high and low alteration,,not needed, but would be apreciated

Welcome to AF on your first post.
With compresser running
Good low side reading is 28 -32 lbs.
high side will range from 150 -250 -275 depending on outside tempt and engine tempt and cooling.
But
You need to start a New Thread/post on your car and tell us where you are at on charging or checking the charge.

Give us your low and high side readings with compresser running at idle and at 2K rpm.

Add your comment to this topic!