Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint codes question

Captain Mark
06-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi guys,

I have a dilemma in sourcing paint codes. What I do have is a print out showing the colour I need, plus a Sikkens paint code next to it. But I'm not sure what the regular/official paint code is for this colour. Or for that matter, if the Sikkens code is the same as the regular paint code.

I've asked the Sikkens company for some help, but haven't received an answer from them yet.

Does anyone know how I can convert a Sikkens code to an official paint code so that I can get some mixed?

[Oh, and I don't have any Sikkens dealers nearby unfortunately]

Thanks for any assistance.
Mark

freakray
06-19-2007, 06:20 AM
Not sure why this is in car modelling as Sikkens make autobody paints but I will try to help.

Try going to Sikkens website and start from there, an alternative would be to take the paint chip you have to a body shop which mixes their own paints and ask them if they can mix you a match.

One other question comes up, is it a custom color? If it's not then you may be able to look up the color code for the car it applies to in order to get the car manufacturer's paint code for the color which could make it easier.

Captain Mark
06-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Hey Freakray - relevant point about the forum thing, I didn't think of that sorry. The paint is for a model actually, not a regular car. A formula one car to be exact. I guess being for a model I just had a brain freeze and put it in this forum out of habit.

I have the Sikkens codes for the actual F1 car, but no way of knowing if they're colours of any production car (it's not a car manufacturer team either). I've tried the website, but without knowing a manufacturer type it's not much help. Hence me trying to go backwards with the Sikkens code to the regular paint code.

Hopefully Sikkens themselves will eventually get back to me!

freakray
06-19-2007, 06:52 AM
If you can't get an exact match, then my suggestion would be to go the route of the body shop.
Alternatively contact Hiroboy, he may be able to help you get a paint color match.

Which F1 car are you working on, maybe a forum member can help?

And if this is for a model car then of course it belongs here :) Just wasn't sure why you were asking about Sikkens here as I don't believe they're in the US.

Add your comment to this topic!