Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 accord automatic tran. problem

brad2886
06-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Hello... let me try to describe this:

When I put my car into reverse or any forward gear, the rpms drop very low and there is a very noticeable squeal coming from under the car(doesn't sound like a belt, but more of a metal on metal grind). If I'm lucky enough to get the car moving without it dying, it shifts from 1st to 2nd and so on just fine. Any ideas on what this could be? I checked the fluid levels for the tran. and its level is where it should be at and the fluid is a nice red color. Any ideas?

jeffcoslacker
06-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Let me ask you this....once moving, does it idle OK in gear when you come to a stop again, or does it try to die?

So is it just on initial engagement, or anytime in gear at idle?

brad2886
06-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Let me ask you this....once moving, does it idle OK in gear when you come to a stop again, or does it try to die?

So is it just on initial engagement, or anytime in gear at idle?

It idles fine. It only wants to die on initial engagement.

jeffcoslacker
06-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Damn...that's not what I wanted to hear...

I've seen a few GM's do something very similar, it was the torque convertor lockup dragging, making noise and loading the motor when you try to put it in gear. But I'm sure there are other things it could be.

I think a shop diagnosis is in order. Wish I had better news.

brad2886
06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Damn...that's not what I wanted to hear...

I've seen a few GM's do something very similar, it was the torque convertor lockup dragging, making noise and loading the motor when you try to put it in gear. But I'm sure there are other things it could be.

I think a shop diagnosis is in order. Wish I had better news.

Ya I'm taking it to the shop that had the transmission put in. About 20k miles ago it had a new or rebuilt tran put it, not sure which. So maybe it's still under warranty. If not, no big deal. The car only has about 110k miles on it so it's worth fixing, I think.

Add your comment to this topic!