Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Micro Sol Substitute

white97ex
06-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Ok. So I've been decalling my top fuel car. I think this has been discussed before but I cannot remember. It seems as though windex was a suitable replacement for the SOL or SET I cannot remember which one. I cannot find my micro Sol, and don't wan't to buy another bottle as I will be packing my stuff up soon. I need to do some CF work on my rail but I need the Micro Sol to get the decals to cinch down. I have my Micro set just missing the second half of the equation. thanks!

klutz_100
06-18-2007, 01:37 AM
I have heard of white vinegar being used (as well as hot towels, lihght bulbs etc)

But more seriously are really more worried about the 1-2 bucks for a bottle of Sol than screwing around with experiments that bugger your model up?? Personally I wouldn't think for a second - I can't find my Sol? Buy another one whcih will get used anyway ... :2cents:

mike@af
06-18-2007, 04:10 AM
I'm with 'Ski on this one. Spend the couple of bucks to save yourself the headache. As difficult as it may be to find, weigh your options. Would you rather experiment and risk $$ decals and time, or spend the time finding the right stuff and doing it right the first time.

rallymaster
06-18-2007, 07:43 AM
hello,

burning alcohol can replace micro sol to soften decals. :wink:

white97ex
06-18-2007, 09:22 AM
I have heard of white vinegar being used (as well as hot towels, lihght bulbs etc)

But more seriously are really more worried about the 1-2 bucks for a bottle of Sol than screwing around with experiments that bugger your model up?? Personally I wouldn't think for a second - I can't find my Sol? Buy another one whcih will get used anyway ... :2cents:

the trouble is that there is no where local to get it so I would have to mail order it. I don't need any other supplies at this time. I'd end up paying nearly 10 bucks for the bottle

MPWR
06-18-2007, 10:04 AM
There's no difference at all between Microset and Microsol except concentration. Microset merely has a bit more water. There is no difference between a 'decal setting' solution and a 'decal solvant'. Really only one concentration is necessary, and that's up to the preferences of the user and fragility of the decals. There is likely nothing at all that a decal can be coaxed to do with Microsol that can't be done just as well with Microset plus some time and patience.

Personally, I've had decals destroyed too often with strong solutions (Microsol, Solvaset), so I prefer to work with more dillute solutions (Microset, Mr Mark Softer).

And I would never try something like Windex, alcohol, single malt Scotch, etc. on a marking I that didn't have a backup for....:disappoin

freakray
06-18-2007, 10:11 AM
And I would never try something like Windex, alcohol, single malt Scotch, etc. on a marking I that didn't have a backup for....:disappoin

Do you prefer the single malt straight up or 'on the rocks' and which do you find is the best brand? :icon16:

I've heard of folks using Vodka for paint thinning, so scotch for decal setting shouldn't be far off the mark.

ZoomZoomMX-5
06-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I kind of doubt some of the chemical things that MPWR said; as Micro Set smells like vinegar and is fairly mild, while Micro Sol seems odorless but has a tendency to soften the decal and allow it to shrink as it dries over the surface. Often all I need is Micro Set, but sometimes Micro Sol seems mandatory on pieces over compound surfaces.

I remember 935K3 mentioning that he uses a very hot towel (dab a clean/soft towel in very hot water) to make his decals conform. The combination of the very hot water/steam and pressure will make most decals conform. I've tried it a few times and it does seem to work very well. I had one decal on my Jaguar Lightweight (in the completed section) that didn't want to conform over the back end of the car, I couldn't believe how well Micro Sol did the job to get that decal to settle down over the very curved fender. I also used a wide/flat brush to help it conform. I think had I been awake enough at that late hour to remember the hot towel trick I may have tried that first.

bvia
06-20-2007, 05:33 AM
There's no difference at all between Microset and Microsol except concentration. Microset merely has a bit more water. There is no difference between a 'decal setting' solution and a 'decal solvant'.

Sorry, but this is totally incorrect. MicroSet is an acetic acid (naturally produced product). MicroSol is a decal solvent (chemical engineered product). The acetic acid is used to prime the surface to be decaled, basically removing organic compounds. The decal solvent is used to melt the decal carrier upon which the decal inks are printed on. While it is true that you can use the acetic _acid_ (MicroSet) to snug down decals, it does not work as well as the solvent (MicroSol) which was specifically designed to do melt the carrier.

This info comes directly from Matthew Wells (from a phonecall I had with him over 10 years ago, right before SMS released their CF decals), owner of Scale Motor Sports and is the very reason he calls out for these 2 products.

Also, remember that MicroSet will not harm Tamiya's line of TS synthetic acrylics (they can stand up to the acetic acid), but MicroSol will etch the surface (because it's a solvent).

hth,
Bill

Dave5.0
06-20-2007, 11:41 AM
I would spend the money and get what you know works, I can't stand wasting time fumbling around with experimental stuff. After using the Micro-Sol/set I will never touch anything else.
I could buy you some Micro-Sol at the local shop and probably mail it to you in a heavy envolope for a few bucks.....Let me know. They have it on the shelf and it's no trouble to me to drop it in the mail for you bud.

Dave

gionc
06-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I know some master like R40 use denaturated alcohol + hair drier

Jack Daniel single barrel seems good too.

Add your comment to this topic!