Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

exhaust manifold

warrior_333
06-17-2007, 09:32 PM
i took the bolts all the way out to put gaskets in not knowing they were drop in but now im trying to bolt it back together and the bolt holes wont line up if i get the front bolts in the back bolts need to go towards the back of the vehicle but it wont go that far but if i put the middle bolts in the front needs to go to the front and the back needs to go to the back it seems like it shunk but oviously it didnt

muddog321
06-18-2007, 05:20 AM
Welcome and sorry but those are knuckle busters in there!
Probably the exhaust system is bent so may have to disconnect the round flange/donut gasket to release the binding. They are always rusted and a pain. Don't crack the manifolds.

MT-2500
06-18-2007, 08:18 AM
If it is the manifold bolts to the head you are having problems with.
They make a spreader bar to go between the manifold to spread it to get bolt holes to line up.
Check your local parts/tool place for one.

It is better to not use gaskets there.
Steel to head works best.
The gaskets will burn out and burn head or manifold.
MT

warrior_333
06-18-2007, 09:46 AM
thanx so areyou saying that i should disconect the manifolds from the exhaust pipe as in the spring loaded nuts also the tool how would that work wouldnt it just break

MT-2500
06-18-2007, 10:00 AM
thanx so areyou saying that i should disconect the manifolds from the exhaust pipe as in the spring loaded nuts also the tool how would that work wouldnt it just break

It may help you line things back up.
The spreader bar will spread them enough to line up the bolt holes.
I have never broke one yet.
But I would suggest you pitch the gaskets in the trash can.
If the manifolds are leaking have them plained off.
Good Luck
MT

warrior_333
06-19-2007, 09:57 AM
i went to my local autozone and they looked at me like i was crazy when i asked about the spreader for the exhaust manifolds but the pring nuts are rusted and i think if i try to remove them they will break anyother ideas

MT-2500
06-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Find a good parts place that has a good tool line of tools.
Or catch a snap on or mac tool dealer.
If the exhaust pipe bolts are in bad shape and will not come lose better leave them as is.

MT-2500
06-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Here is a picture of it.
http://tools.batauto.com/index.php?crn=245
You can order it there but it will take a few days.
KD tools line should have one.
Check your local parts places.
Or show AZ the Picture of it a jog the memory bank.
I would think they should have one in there loaner/rent tool department.
Just stick it between the manifolds front to center or rear to center part and crank the tool and it will spread it enough to get the bolts lined up and in.
Good luck
MT

warrior_333
06-19-2007, 01:16 PM
ok well ill have to talk to them again mabey i talked to someone that doesnt know what they are talking about which wouldnt suprise me thanx for showing me the pic so i have an idea of what it is

warrior_333
06-19-2007, 01:18 PM
also when useing it do i put the 2 center bolts in or leave them out cuz in the manual it says to start in center also should i be worried about breaking or cracking anything cuz i dont want to do that

MT-2500
06-19-2007, 03:27 PM
You are welcome and good luck.
Tell them to get off the PC and open the tool book and have a look.

When putting it back on put the two center bolts in first and the spread each end until the bolts will line up good.

Do not worry about breaking it.
It is cast and will take it.
About the only to break cast is to hit it with a sledge hammer.
But in the case it does break it is no good or it would not break to start with.
But you can always go get another one.
Have you pitched them gaskets in the trash can yet?

warrior_333
06-19-2007, 09:16 PM
well good news and really bad news me and my dad just pryed on it and got it all back together on the passenger side then when i was cranking the bolts with a impact one of them snapped off so i had just got it all back together than boom it had to all come back apart then when i took the spring nuts off 2 of 3 broke off in the hole but i got the stud out of the motor which is great but now i got to get them out of the flange that bolts the exhaust to the manifold then we got to the other side one bolt was still tight so they hadnt moved much got those all in then went to the very last one in the back threaded in fine went to tighten it and it kept spinning so we backed it out and realized that the end stripped out so we threaded a new one into the hole to make sure the threads were still good and they were so now i just need 2 new bolts for the manifolds and the spring bolts wich i plan on replacing all of them thanx for all the help im sure ill be making new post here soon this is my new toy/project lol

MT-2500
06-20-2007, 08:53 AM
well good news and really bad news me and my dad just pryed on it and got it all back together on the passenger side then when i was cranking the bolts with a impact one of them snapped off so i had just got it all back together than boom it had to all come back apart then when i took the spring nuts off 2 of 3 broke off in the hole but i got the stud out of the motor which is great but now i got to get them out of the flange that bolts the exhaust to the manifold then we got to the other side one bolt was still tight so they hadnt moved much got those all in then went to the very last one in the back threaded in fine went to tighten it and it kept spinning so we backed it out and realized that the end stripped out so we threaded a new one into the hole to make sure the threads were still good and they were so now i just need 2 new bolts for the manifolds and the spring bolts wich i plan on replacing all of them thanx for all the help im sure ill be making new post here soon this is my new toy/project lol

Thanks for posting back how it went.
Sometimes them things happen.
Good luck on it.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!