Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turbo or Supercharge B18C5?

Y2A
10-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Which is the better route and why? Also, if you suggest a turbo, can you name me a specific kit and why its better than the others? Thx:D Also, is it possible to fit a turbokit made for the b18c1 on the b18c5?

TheBum
10-30-2002, 05:54 PM
Well, I would suggest a turbo. It really depends on your budget, turbos can usually cost you a bit more... You can also get much more power from a turbo

And the B18c1 turbo kit wouldn't match up with the b18c5 because the intake manifold on the GSR is set differently (looks upside down) than the other B series motors. Because of this, the throttle body is set lower on the GSR than the b18c5.

Y2A
10-31-2002, 10:20 PM
Hmm, I see. So do you know of any good turbo kits out there? I've heard about Fmax and Drag, but I wanna know if there's any others with bolt on kits as well.

TheBum
11-01-2002, 05:14 PM
I dont have any personal experience with any specific turbo brand, so I wouldn't know what is good. Do a seach on turbos on this forum to find out what you need to know.

MyFirst4G
11-02-2002, 06:59 AM
Go turbo, because i hear superchargers tend to breakdown on you or something, and if you are on a budjet, get a junkyard turbo which you will be able to run about 10psi of boost, not a lot, but for the price its great, it should cost about a lil over a grand after cost of rebuilding the turbo itself.... you can get one off a Early DSM or a Saab, or Supra, whichever floats your boat! Or, if you have a friend who is upgrading his turbo on his WRX, get his stock turbo, its stock setting is at 14psi but it can be increased up to 20psi!

ImportNut1212
11-06-2002, 01:38 PM
for the Type R engine (B18C5) i'd probably go with a supercharger, its going to cost you alot more in the long run to get an efficient turbo system. you would have to swap out the piston heads if you went turbo. The high compression of the engine, pairred with the turbo would not perform well, might hurt the engine. If you have the money however, i'd go with the Drag stage III turbo, and put in low compression pistons. you'd also have to get an intercooler. if you dont have the money, go for the supercharger. and also, superchargers are pretty reliable on the whole.

Add your comment to this topic!